Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Kia won't pass inspection, still needs repair, what now?

Liade
08-04-2005, 09:12 AM
Hi, we just paid off our 2000 Kia Sephia. Within the last month the check engine light has been on and it developed a whole list of problems. We've had it to 2 garages, including Kia Service. We had to start with replacing both catylic (sp?) converters, timing belt, plugs, coil pack, etc. We've put $1800 in repairs in it in the last 3 weeks and the light is STILL on. The garage has no clue. They keep fixing things, saying that it MIGHT be the problem. Well, we ran out of money so we brought the car home. The thing is, the car runs real good now, but the inspection ran out. Now we'll either be ticketed or sent a nasty letter from the DMV. Not driving the car, or turning in its tag, is simply NOT an option. We have to have it on the road for work, school, and doctor appointments, etc.

How on earth will we ever get this thing to pass inspection????

We just can't afford to have people keep fixing "possible" problems to get it to run with the check engine light off. The recent repairs and labor charges killed us.. We're broke!

Any ideas??

Thanks, Liade

cbeck
08-06-2005, 08:38 AM
I've lived in Georgial all but the past two years... so we never had inspection... but I didn't think they checked the engine light during inspection... maybe they do? i dunno, go to autozone and get the codes read, then let us know what they are.

amy_valencia25
10-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi, we just paid off our 2000 Kia Sephia. Within the last month the check engine light has been on and it developed a whole list of problems. We've had it to 2 garages, including Kia Service. We had to start with replacing both catylic (sp?) converters, timing belt, plugs, coil pack, etc. We've put $1800 in repairs in it in the last 3 weeks and the light is STILL on. The garage has no clue. They keep fixing things, saying that it MIGHT be the problem. Well, we ran out of money so we brought the car home. The thing is, the car runs real good now, but the inspection ran out. Now we'll either be ticketed or sent a nasty letter from the DMV. Not driving the car, or turning in its tag, is simply NOT an option. We have to have it on the road for work, school, and doctor appointments, etc.

We just can't afford to have people keep fixing "possible" problems to get it to run with the check engine light off. The recent repairs and labor charges killed us.. We're broke!

Any ideas??

Thanks, Liadehey liade. my chk engine light comes on alot when it was running,i think its a short somewhere.ive had my hoodoo 7 years and its come on and off all 7 years,so its a short. and it will pass inspection.i cna tell you where to take it if you live in houston or pasadena area....amy

nick bamberger
01-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Find a new mechanic.

MeettheCreeper
01-01-2006, 10:00 AM

Any ideas??

Thanks, Liade

That lite comes on for 600+ reasons. I can give you an idea where to go with it if you could tell me what code it is.

Most EPA centers check for the MIL. if it is on you dont pass inspection.

Go to autozone and get the code retrieved and I can give you an idea what the problem is. Or take it back to the shop that did the work orginally and demand that they at least pull the codes and or give you your money back.

There is no excuse for "a possible fix" no car leaves my stall until I know it is fixed.

I have had to drive customers cars 200+ miles to verify repairs.

Find yourself a quality technician, not a mechanic.

aznb0ipnoy
02-09-2006, 12:47 AM
Get a new car...Kia's suck.

MeettheCreeper
02-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Get a new car...Kia's suck.

Thanks for adding something meaningful to the discussion.

Just because you cant fix them.....

nick bamberger
02-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Well, they aren't the best cars on the road. Honestly, I would suggest the same thing. I just didn't say it earlier. Not much point in pouring so much money into a car thats not going to last without more and more repairs.
And I have heard the stories of KIAS going to 175,000 miles and so(very few), but compared to Honda/Toyota, their still not the best (or even close, in my opinion).
Just my opinion, no need to take offense.
I would get something else, if you already haven't.
Given that this post is from August '05, I would say its already taken care of..

cbeck
02-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Please Read: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=408720

Thanks

xtreme barton
02-09-2006, 05:39 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=518731

make sure you read post #2

that should save you trips to autozone and you can just post if you'd like whatever codes you got..

we can diagnose the problem from there

also how many miles are currently on the vehichle ?

are you a bold type ? would you have enough guts to call the service department you went to and ask why they did not run the codes and fix the real problem ..

hot98sephia
02-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Engine light I replaced both coils and plug wires went to autozone and had them wipe out the code took it to get it inspected and it passed. In North Carolina they will not pass a car with the engine light on it messes with the computer they use for emissions.

Add your comment to this topic!