Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help Me Paint My Accord...

Dr.Gigglez
08-04-2005, 01:48 AM
Ok Folks So heres the Deal...Want to paint the bottom of the Accord gun metal and the top a racing blue... split like the picture below...

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/361337accord1.jpg

how do i do this?....paint the whole car blue first then tape off the top and paint the bottom GM....or GM then Blue?....or shit i have no idea how to do this...anyone know? :confused:

Thanks for the Help!!

spitfire143
08-04-2005, 03:14 AM
Light First, Dark Last. You picture doesn't work so I can't see what you are asking really.

Scale-Master
08-04-2005, 08:45 AM
Sounds like you are going to use Tamiya sprays. If so...

Paint the whole car Racing Blue, even what you want to be Gunmetal. It will take at least two coats to cover, but you are better off with three light to medium-light coats.

When fully dry, mask and spray the Gunmetal.
The Tamiya Gunmetal doesn't cover as well as some of the other colors, that is why you need a uniform finish under it before painting.
Build it up in a minimum of three LIGHT coats to get the color density.

Take your time and it should look nice... - Mark

Dr.Gigglez
08-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Ok...I fixed the thread thats a crapy example of what i want to do...but i used paint...but thats the basic idea...so i do light then dark? and do i tape it off with masking tape?

alakai
08-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Exactly. For your project, racing blue first then gunmetal. Be sure to mask carefully in order to reduce the chances of the dark color bleeding into the light color. I've had good results with spraying a light mist of clear after masking, which helps prevent bleed through.

Dr.Gigglez
08-04-2005, 09:24 PM
ok sorry guys...COLOR change...Its going to be a Light ICE Blue and then Daytona blue so again light blue first...then mask off front and spray the dark blue second....mist layer so no bleeding?...

willimo
08-04-2005, 10:55 PM
The best advice here is to do the mist between colors. A general rules is to spray dark over light, but it's not always the case and the knowledge comes from experience. If you're doing two blues: Prime it! to avoid paint liftoff witht he maskint tape, spray the whole car the light blue, WAIT!!! for the light blue to cure so the tape won't lift it off, mask it, spray a light coat of the light blue over the masking, spray the dark blue, remove the tape while the paint is tacky NOT wet and NOT dry, and there you have it.

Dr.Gigglez
08-05-2005, 11:55 PM
ok when u say not wet but not dry...that means i would only do one coat of dark blue or do i do more?

Add your comment to this topic!