Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problems with 98CV

search114
08-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Hi Everyone;

This is my 1st CVPI, and first time to post on this board. To start out, I have a ’98 Crown Vic p71 with 62,000 miles. I purchased the vehicle in Michigan last week, and drove it over 600 miles home, with no difficulty. I did some tune ups to the vehicle, including a new serpentine belt, oil change, K&N air filter, and replacing of all 8 spark plugs.
I took the vehicle to get inspected today, and unfortunately, the emissions computer pulled up 2 problems on the vehicle, and failed the inspection. The first code to come up was a P1451, which is a EVAP Control System Canister Vent Solenoid Circuit Malfunction. I spoke to the dealer, and he told me to check out the solenoid on the charcoal canister. I checked the voltage coming out of the pigtail, and it does show 12 volts. However, when I connect up the solenoid to the pigtail, the voltage completely drops out. When disconnected from power, the solenoid allows air to flow through, but when I connected it to an external battery supply, it clicks, and restricts air flow. So, I’m hoping someone will be familiar with this device, and let me know whether it is working properly. One of the other things I did notice, was that the one hose on the left side of the charcoal canister was sliced open. Upon further inspection, I pulled the hose connected to that, and it too was sliced off, with no evidence of the rest of it. I am under the assumption that this is the hose that should run to the engine compartment. Does anyone know where exactly that hose connects to on the engine?
The other code to come up was a P0303, which indicates a misfire on #3 cylinder. When I had replaced the plugs, I noticed a green liquid substance that had built up in the #3 chamber, and had corroded the spark plug. I thoroughly dried it out, and replaced the plug, but the code is still there. Should I invest in a new coil assembly?
Third, and not the most important, the panel lights are extremely dim. I replaced a couple of bulbs which helped, but it is still only at about 40% brightness as compared to my explorer. I did use the dimmer switch, however that did not help at all. When I use my turn signals, the panel light go completely out every time it flashes, then comes back on. Any ideas? Please email me below. Thanks

Chris
search114@aol.com

radioman2002
08-04-2005, 08:20 PM
For starters, just listening to the complaints you have, you could have a missing ground, or a few of them. Check on the passenger side kick panel, and make sure that when the 2-way radio was removed they either didn't cut one or forget to reinstall a group of grounds that go to a bolt under the dash. Next, typically, when you have voltage readings, as you do at your EVAP canister, then lose it when connected, there is a poor connection from the voltage source, or a corroded wire and the like. The dash lights are another issue that leads me to a missing ground, the turn signal is looking for a ground from another source, hense your lights going out. My best advice is pay the $150.00 for the Ford manuals(2) then trace you wiring problems from there. All your problems could be caused by one loose ground.
To reset your codes, merely remove the positive battery lead for about a minuit, and reconnect. The P0303 could be left over from before your tune-up.

Add your comment to this topic!