Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 Acclaim Le Won't Start

catwomqn
08-03-2005, 08:36 PM
This car has given me a headache for two days now. The engine turns over but it will not start. It is not the coil, the fuel pump is working but I don't know how much pressure it is putting out. The gas goes into the throttle body intake but will not come out the injector. Out of ideas and patience with this car but daughter needs it to go to work. Anybody have any ideas. The only one I have left is the TPS but not sure if I am even on the right track.

Thanks

Catwomqn

theFREAKnasty82
08-04-2005, 11:56 PM
If your pump is working, you could have a clogged fuel filter or fuel pump relay that's shot. First thing you need to do is have that fuel pressure checked out. Assuming you have a 2.5 liter 4-cylinder your psi should be about 14. If you have a 3.0 V6, your psi should be between 39-44.

catwomqn
08-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Well.....You wouldn't believe it!!!!!!!!!!! Pulled out the fuel injector, threw it in a shot glass with some carb cleaner and let it set overnight....figured if it was already broke couldn't hurt it. Got up the next morning and Dave put it back together (wrong). He had the O ring wrong on it somehow and the gas back flowed into the injector cap. But the car actually ran for about 15 seconds. Wow!!!! Then back to the same thing. Thought about the relays for a sec. Dave hot wired the injector cap and after about 30 seconds got gas flowing through the injector.......but it wouldn't stop and it wasn't pulsing, car flooded out and stalled. He went to work and I walked away from it for about 2 or 3 hours, went and did some errands and when I got back home went over and reached through the window and turned the key and the stupid thing started. Pretty slow at first...had to jump in and give it some gas to burn off the excess fuel in there and then it took off!!!!!!!!! Running better than before I am told Sooooooooooo...my conclusion is........either the injector was clogged and when we hot wired it it blew it through or maybe there was some sort of clog in the pressure regulator. Either way the car is running after two days.

Right now I betcha I could disassemble and reassemble a throttle body blindfolded!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!

April

Add your comment to this topic!