Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Polar Lights Ford GT is out!

Veyron
08-03-2005, 06:50 AM
View it here:

Ford GT pics (http://wwwboard.modelcarkits.com/index.pl?read=673975)

Lurchio
08-03-2005, 07:05 AM
Diecast isn't it?

Veyron
08-03-2005, 07:09 AM
Diecast isn't it?

Nope, plastic like the GTO.

Lurchio
08-03-2005, 07:18 AM
Just assumed that from the finished body!

Eric Cole
08-03-2005, 07:18 AM
Is that an extra set of decals visible in the picture? Awesome!! That's one of the main things I was hoping for in the release of this kit.

Sticky Fingers
08-03-2005, 07:25 AM
TBH, I'm not too interested in these 'snap-together' 'almost-everything-is-done-for-you' models.

Does look nice though.

I'd hoped somebody would bring this out in plastic someday but not like this.

99civichic
08-03-2005, 07:58 AM
YAY!!!

Hey, it's better than nothing...

ZoomZoomMX-5
08-03-2005, 08:19 AM
TBH, I'm not too interested in these 'snap-together' 'almost-everything-is-done-for-you' models.

Does look nice though.

I'd hoped somebody would bring this out in plastic someday but not like this.

So what? As you said, it does look nice. The kit isn't too expensive, costing a lot less than Fujimi kits of far lesser detail (and they're really cheap when you get 'em at a Hobby Lobby sale). Just strip the body in cheap 91% alcohol, repaint, detail to your heart's content, snip off the snap locators and glue it together. It's a full-detail model that can be personalized just like any other kit. Is the prejudice because other people can have a good looking model w/o the effort you put into yours? Or because you're:

A. Lazy and don't want to strip the factory paint and snip the snap pins
B. Cheap and want to spend less $$ on an undecorated body
C. All of the above
D. None of the above, I just like to complain because it's not by Revell or Tamiya

Seriously, at this point in the game w/US-based manufacturers pretty lame at times it's a good thing we've gotten a full-detail Ford GT at all. I'll take it like this and personalize it the way I want it, and nobody would know it's not a Revujiyima kit. I'll build one of the predecorated ones up beforehand to learn the kit's idiosyncracies, and it'll look pretty good on it's own. I've been waiting for this model, and so far looks like I'll be fairly pleased w/the results.

tonioseven
08-03-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm gonna get one!:sunglasse

blubaja
08-03-2005, 10:12 AM
I want some!!!!! NOWWWWWWW!!!

99civichic
08-03-2005, 10:22 AM
...a Revujiyima kit.

hehe, that makes me giggle...

g00eY
08-03-2005, 11:29 AM
i want one!

GvEman
08-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Nice I want one... but I think that its pity that this kit are a snaptite... because.. I am lazy.. Allot of work to make it look realistic I guess..;)

gasman03
08-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Nice I want one... but I think that its pity that this kit are a snaptite... because.. I am lazy.. Allot of work to make it look realistic I guess..;)

The Polar Lights kit is FULL DETAIL. motor and all, and they have awsome detail out of the box. I built the 04 GTO and it does'nt take alot of work to get one heck of a model out of it.

RallyRaider
08-03-2005, 06:39 PM
1/25th like the GTO. Shame, I'd love one in 1/24th.

Veyron
08-03-2005, 07:17 PM

Think about it this way....the real Ford GT is 15% larger than the original GT40...so maybe the 1/25 GT will be about the same size as the 1/24 GT40...at least they wouldn't look too bad on the shelf together.

73superduty
08-03-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey guys, remember, this kit was CANCELLED due to soft pre-orders. However our voices were heard and RC2 changed their minds and brought this kit out. I say if you want a new Ford GT you better buy these while you can. I haven't heard an inkling of another company putting this car out.
Snap or not this car can be super-detailed like any of your glue kits.
Who knows if Polar Lights will come out with any other cars. From what I am hearing this is a great kit, possibly a culmination of learning from their past kits.
I know I'll be buying a couple.
Chris

Sticky Fingers
08-04-2005, 07:55 AM
So what? As you said, it does look nice. The kit isn't too expensive, costing a lot less than Fujimi kits of far lesser detail (and they're really cheap when you get 'em at a Hobby Lobby sale). Just strip the body in cheap 91% alcohol, repaint, detail to your heart's content, snip off the snap locators and glue it together. It's a full-detail model that can be personalized just like any other kit. Is the prejudice because other people can have a good looking model w/o the effort you put into yours? Or because you're:

A. Lazy and don't want to strip the factory paint and snip the snap pins
B. Cheap and want to spend less $$ on an undecorated body
C. All of the above
D. None of the above, I just like to complain because it's not by Revell or Tamiya

WHO THE F**K DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?

I am entitled to my opinion, you're NOT entitled to subject me to a multiple choice quiz.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my post didn't say, "I don't like these, so neither should anyone else"

spymaker
08-04-2005, 08:57 AM

Why, why, why, 1/25 sucks! It's weird just 1 digit difference and everything would be perfect!

Spymaker

ZoomZoomMX-5
08-04-2005, 09:04 AM

I am entitled to my opinion, you're NOT entitled to subject me to a multiple choice quiz.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my post didn't say, "I don't like these, so neither should anyone else"

If you're that PO'ed and you want to use profanity you could use a PM :icon16: . I'm someone who has actually bought and built some recent Polar Lights models (and criticized the hell out of them where necessary). I understood exactly what you said, and because I found your negative comments to be a bit silly I was rather harsh with my sarcastic comments (I've been reminded that by someone else on PM).

I'm someone who unapologetically stated my opinion, just like you did. I combined your distaste w/what I've heard others say about the kits (most of which are unfair), and while I was directing the quiz at you because of your comment, it was intended more at those who have a similar mindset-you are not alone in the hating of these kits because of the prepainted bodies and snap fit of the parts. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't read well at all. Had we had the same discussion in person I doubt anyone would be pissed off at all. I'm not wild about the snap fit or prepainted idea either, and yes I would have rather had it fall out of a Revell or Tamiya box. Yet IMHO they're somewhat trivial issues that I can relatively easily work around because I know that we almost didn't get a kit of this car at all. I'd rather work around them than bitch to the point that a model manufacturer would say "why bother in the first place?".

If you actually see the model up close and perhaps build it so you can make credible comments against it from first-hand experience, that's one thing. Soon you'll likely see some well-built examples of this kit, and they will hopefully prove pointless anyone who goes on about how these kits suck because they're prepainted or snap-together or "everything is done for you" (when it clearly is not). It's a full-detail plastic model (a rarity these days) offered in an age when some will say we'll only have diecast in the future.

Yes this model is marketed to builders w/few skills (in this country one now has to be 18 to buy paint and glue...that's likely why this kind of model exists-would you rather we have no model-or worse, only diecast-and make people wait until they're 18 to start building?). How I wish there were models like this when I started building at age 8 or 9. It's amazing that I stuck w/this hobby considering how shitty my models looked when built at that young an age with crappy materials (lovely brush painted bodies and glue stains galore). Yet you can build it and paint it and detail it like you want it and it will show off your skills-it can satisfy the full spectrum of modelers. Strip the paint and you have a clean canvas to work from, and believe me...everything is NOT already done for you. Having built their models, I know what I'm talking about. That's the harsh and un-sarcastic truth. They're decent models w/ a few details that are bitch-worthy from a design aspect, but every one of them can be worked out so that you end up with a good replica. Even if you're inexperienced. You might be psyched enough to build more. And start buying the better kits. Learning new skills. These kits are a godsend IMHO.

I'll post details on this model as I'm picking them up on Friday. I intend to build one before our club meeting on Sunday. I'll take pics of the parts and the assemblies. I also intend to strip/repaint and detail one out to the point that nobody would know who the manufacturer was, including details as to how to go about fixing any inherent design flaws. I have the paint ready to go. The GT 40 is one of my all-time favorite cars. The Ford GT is a car I really wanted models of. Tomorrow I get my wish. I do wish they'd made the engine cover removable. For some reason they did not.

tonioseven
08-04-2005, 09:05 AM

Hey, relax or take it to PM's please. Thanks. Remember, younger people have access to these forums as well. :)

hirofkd
08-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Why, why, why, 1/25 sucks! It's weird just 1 digit difference and everything would be perfect!

Spymaker
Most likely 1/25.4, right? Because 1 inch translates to 1 mm.

Aoshima doesn't have any Ford, and Tamiya...well we have no idea what they're doing now, but since Fujimi's new Lambos and 550/575 aren't half bad, plus they do have a contact with Ford (through their GT40 kits), I hope they do the new GT in 1/24.

Tazzilla
08-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Nice now i want one or two to add to my collection can see lots of potential mods to do to it

spymaker
08-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Hopefully, Fujimi come to the rescue! I'm still wondering why 1/25....For example I really want to get the Pontiac GTO the old or okay the new one but I can't....it's 1/25..arrgghh...you know what it seems quite funny we have 1/43 but 1/44 or 1/45....hmmmm????? but I do remember we had 1/28 before. We also got 1/26 diecast...even 1/27 for diecast. Thank god there's no 1/24 and a half :P

Most likely 1/25.4, right? Because 1 inch translates to 1 mm.

Aoshima doesn't have any Ford, and Tamiya...well we have no idea what they're doing now, but since Fujimi's new Lambos and 550/575 aren't half bad, plus they do have a contact with Ford (through their GT40 kits), I hope they do the new GT in 1/24.

blubaja
08-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Ok. Picked up 2 tonight. The red/ white stripe, and the dark blue/ white stripe. The paint is dull. The stripes have bad overlap. Ugh....and the rear hood is molded shut. Other then that. Seems OK so far. I'll try to do one, and get 'er done by 2moro morning.

RallyRaider
08-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Couple of questions if you don't mind. Does it come with proper decals or are they more like stickers? And what is the plastic like? Is it regular kit like styrene or diecast squidgy stuff?

ZoomZoomMX-5
08-05-2005, 07:14 PM
I picked up a red one and blue one also. My red one is pretty shiny (will get polished anyway), the blue one needs to be polished. Both have good stripes. I'll be building the red one tonight. I'm about to paint the silver areas in the engine compartment and interior, then will dullcote the black interior items to look more realistic. The rims/tires SUCK ASS :disappoin ! The tires look like they're ready for SUV duty. The wheels are too small in diameter. The interior looks decent enough in detail, though some gauge decals would have been nice.

The plastic seems pretty normal, the extra white and black waterslide decals are for those who want to repaint.

Overall the appearance is very good, w/the usual concessions to snap fit, especially in the area of the headlight covers-easily fixed. A few modeler's tricks and it will look great. I put the body beside a built Fujimi GT40 and this one is quite a bit longer and somewhat wider. If it were 1/24 it would look humongous next to a GT40.

I have found a killer set of rims from an Italian car :naughty: .

This one will teach me what to look for when I strip the blue one and start painting from scratch :smile: .

drunken monkey
08-05-2005, 07:18 PM
what i've always wondered, is if it's possible to put the 1/25 kit through a careful primer-scribe-primer-scribe process to build up enough primer to make up the difference?
hmm, just how much difference is it anyway?

blubaja
08-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Does it come with proper decals or are they more like stickers?

Decals, yes. They could use a clear coat tho. The whole finish should be recleared....The whole car should be repainted. Mold lines! Darn prepaints..

And what is the plastic like?
Question for you, have you built the GTO, or the other Polar Lights's kits? The plastic is a bit thicker than Revell's offerings.

A plus note, the seats are awsome! The multiple little rings are represented by a chrome chunk that holds them. They go into the seat from behind/under. Need to be dulled down tho.

P.S. ZoomZoom...lets race!

ZoomZoomMX-5
08-05-2005, 07:51 PM
P.S. ZoomZoom...lets race!

You're on! Just painted the sub assemblies. This one's easy so far.

blubaja
08-05-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm doin the interior and rear bracing. Ref. pics.
http://ford.jbcarpages.com/GT/2005/index5.php

This way?
http://ford.jbcarpages.com/GT/2005/Bilder/2005%20Ford%20GT%20Engine.jpg
Or this way?
http://ford.jbcarpages.com/GT/2005/Bilder/2005%20Ford%20GT%20Engine2.jpg

I'm leaning more towards the 2nd pic.
Also, what the hell color is the rear of the interior wall suposed to be?
Also, also, have you heard if or what the white lighting color will be? I'm guessing the white with blue stripes...LHS only had, red, blue, yellow, and silver. The silver was..nasty.

See you soon zoom zoom! :evillol:

ZoomZoomMX-5
08-05-2005, 08:46 PM
I'm doin the interior and rear bracing. Ref. pics.
http://ford.jbcarpages.com/GT/2005/index5.php

This way?
http://ford.jbcarpages.com/GT/2005/Bilder/2005%20Ford%20GT%20Engine.jpg
Or this way?
http://ford.jbcarpages.com/GT/2005/Bilder/2005%20Ford%20GT%20Engine2.jpg

I'm leaning more towards the 2nd pic.
Also, what the hell color is the rear of the interior wall suposed to be?
Also, also, have you heard if or what the white lighting color will be? I'm guessing the white with blue stripes...LHS only had, red, blue, yellow, and silver. The silver was..nasty.

See you soon zoom zoom! :evillol:

Here's a better site for pics:

Ford GT reference (http://www.atspeedimages.com/csrg_2005/2005_ford_gt/)

Interior wall looks like it has Enzo-like heat shielding. I'm leaving it silver on mine.

The white lightning version, aka the limited, is the silver unfortunately. It looked okay but the yellow and red are the best, the blue should look good if it's polished out or clearcoated.

I'm keeping the red one relatively simple; one of my headers has already fallen off not sure if I'll replace it. Kit fits better than the GTO, but final ass'y seems tricky, chassis doesn't seem to want to go in w/o some serious pressure.

blubaja
08-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Dude....you know way too much...

In other news..This thread officially hijacked by ZoomZoom and I.
http://www.capitolflags.com/images/jolley%20roger%20pirate%20flag.gif

ZoomZoomMX-5
08-05-2005, 11:13 PM
I'll hijack some more :evillol: !

Finished Ford GT (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=440619)

blubaja
08-05-2005, 11:31 PM
D'oh :rolleyes:

ZoomZoomMX-5
08-06-2005, 11:17 AM
I promise...my last hijack... :evillol:

Some good outdoor shots of the Ford GT and it's engine compartment (http://wwwboard.modelcarkits.com/index.pl?read=676322)

Add your comment to this topic!