Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Would you spend this much on a Daytona?

Tamerlane
08-03-2005, 12:52 AM
Ok, Wonder if anyone out there has spent that much money on an old Daytona.

I put a brand new engine in myself. I bought the brand new block for $1200 had the heads built for about $900 and assembled the entire engine myself. All together, with all new parts, it was about $4,500 for the project. I have pictures of the process.

So why you ask? I can afford cash for a new Car, but I have always enjoyed keeping the old ones on the road. The Daytona was the car I had while I was getting my Degree in Computer Science. My parents helped me get it.

I just couldn't let it go. I plan on getting it painted and driving it to Route 66 in 20 years. Some people wonder why I spend so much money on the old car, and to be honest I think the same too sometimes. But now that I have a car with a transmission that has 50,000 miles and an engine with only 6,000 miles I expect I will keep this thing for another 10 years.

I have recently taken all the upgrades off of it and returned it to stock condition, other then the power windows I put in it. The paint is faded, but I will eventually paint it. I have to, after all it is a $5,000 car now.

I replaced everything on the engine, starter, alternator, idler, timing belt, water pump oil pump, oxygen sensor, distributor, wires, plugs, AIS, MAP, Fuel Pressure regulator, all but the fuel injectors themselves. New (stock) muffler system with CAT.

It runs like a charm.

So is there anyone else out there as crazy as I am about keeping a Daytona on the road? I think I can honestly say that I am one of the few that has one with a brand new engine in it.

93_R/T_TT_Stealth
08-03-2005, 02:34 AM
I just did a brand new engine on my 3.0 bout 4 months ago - an then i took the brand new engine an gutted it... (why u ask?) To build it up with FM performance parts - FM Heads FM Cams FM Pistons FM Crank... ect... High Velocity Intake.... its a sexy egine an it all passes NJ motor vehic. inspection.... i got pics if u want me to show ya it an under the hood let me know...

Matt

93_R/T_TT_Stealth
08-03-2005, 02:36 AM
I spent about 13-17k US dollars - I know a kid that spent 24k us dollars on his 92 2.5 turbo it will smoke a Z06 Vett no problem w/NOS ... an i have witnessed it because i didnt beleive him ... its freakin quick....

Add your comment to this topic!