barely "turns over" then starts - what is it?

MattSimon7
08-02-2005, 12:19 PM
95 nissan XE v6

when I turn the key, sometimes it barely turns over then starts. So far it hasn't had a time yet when it didn't start.

It this the starter going bad?

Someone also suggested that it was corrosion. On the positive cable running to the battery, there is a black plastic box with inner copper and some corrison is forming thick inside on the copper. I don't know what this plastic black box is, but two other pieces plug into it, then it bolts to the ternimal that mounts over the terminal head on the battery. Its a standard setup in nissans I'm told.

Help?

- MATT

Will2
08-02-2005, 05:12 PM
The corrosion needs to be cleaned off. But most likely your battery is low. Maybe from the corrosion or it's just old and needs replacing. Try cleaning the cables first. It's the cheapest.

MattSimon7
08-02-2005, 06:47 PM
The corrosion needs to be cleaned off. But most likely your battery is low. Maybe from the corrosion or it's just old and needs replacing. Try cleaning the cables first. It's the cheapest.

I had the battery tested and its good.

So that leaves me to think its the starter?

Doug Rodrigues
08-07-2005, 11:23 PM
You've already done the logical battery and corroded wiring check first. If the battery is fully charged, connect a volt meter to the battery. If the voltage falls below 9 volts or so while cranking, the segmets are probably packed with brush material and bleeding power to segmets adjacent to where that particular brush is....sort of a short. That's why the voltage would indicate so low. Pull the starter out. If it's a high time starter you may get away with cleaning the commutator segmet insulation with a broken hacksaw blade. After doing that, polish the commutator with a piece of fine sandpaper, but NOT emery cloth. Also install new brushes. May as well clean and grease the bushings too while you've got the thing apart. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new starter.

MattSimon7
08-08-2005, 11:28 AM
You've already done the logical battery and corroded wiring check first. If the battery is fully charged, connect a volt meter to the battery. If the voltage falls below 9 volts or so while cranking, the segmets are probably packed with brush material and bleeding power to segmets adjacent to where that particular brush is....sort of a short. That's why the voltage would indicate so low. Pull the starter out. If it's a high time starter you may get away with cleaning the commutator segmet insulation with a broken hacksaw blade. After doing that, polish the commutator with a piece of fine sandpaper, but NOT emery cloth. Also install new brushes. May as well clean and grease the bushings too while you've got the thing apart. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new starter.

Thanks for the advice...its comes a little late though. I already switched out the starter and changed the corroded ground cable. Problem has went away. So hopefully it was the starter. I bought one from the dealership since I have heard the auto part store ones fail more often, and I don't want to go through this again.

Getting the starter off was a BEAR...for me at least!!!! It was in a tiny spot under the passenger manifold right up next to the frame. To get at it, had to take off the passenger side wheel then had to take the panel (3 tiny screws) off the starter allowing it to be more manageble to go thru the only small space I could pull it out of the truck. And I had to take off my oil filter as well, cause it was directly above it. Everyone always said it was easy to remove....guess my truck is a special case?

Hey, you got any good websites for ordering Nissan parts?

I want to replce my positive battery cable, but AutoZone says I have to get it from the dealership. Cause it has a black box on it that they don't sell. Said its standard on most imports.

Thanks again!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!