Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Intermittent Check engine soon light

veruca
08-02-2005, 11:31 AM
We have a 95 Riv that was manufactured 10/94 by the info on the inside drivers door panel. Have taken the car to autozone, of course they can't get the code out of it. I'm thinking we must have the OBD2 plug, with the OBD1 computer? The car will run fine for ohhh 200 miles, and then I'll get a check engine soon light on. As soon as I turn the car off, the code is gone until the next 200 miles. I mean I could turn the car off in the driveway with the light on, and then turn it right back on, and the lights off!

My question is....if I take this car to the buick dealer and get the code pulled out of it, and my husband can replace the part, will I have to take the car BACK to get the code erased out of the car, so the code doesn't keep coming up?

Apparently what's happening with our car is very common with oxygen sensors going out. If it's something he can do, then we'd like to save the money by letting him do it.

bosnfred
08-28-2005, 11:55 AM
We have a 95 Riv that was manufactured 10/94 by the info on the inside drivers door panel. Have taken the car to autozone, of course they can't get the code out of it. I'm thinking we must have the OBD2 plug, with the OBD1 computer? The car will run fine for ohhh 200 miles, and then I'll get a check engine soon light on. As soon as I turn the car off, the code is gone until the next 200 miles. I mean I could turn the car off in the driveway with the light on, and then turn it right back on, and the lights off!

My question is....if I take this car to the buick dealer and get the code pulled out of it, and my husband can replace the part, will I have to take the car BACK to get the code erased out of the car, so the code doesn't keep coming up?

Apparently what's happening with our car is very common with oxygen sensors going out. If it's something he can do, then we'd like to save the money by letting him do it.

Check the vacuum lines, there is one that controls the cruise control and check engine soon light, it most likely is broken in some way. My 95 Rivi was just doing that and my cruise also did not work. Repaired the vac line and now it is fine

Add your comment to this topic!