Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Newbie questions on 84 Supra

Marcoose
08-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Hi everyone!

Sorry for being a total newbie, I am trying to do some research but I just got started and am overwhelmed with all the number codes for everything. It's kind of taken for granted everyone knows what these are so I'm having trouble finding ultra-basic info :uhoh:

I have a 1984 Supra. Can someone give me the basic info on it so I can start doing some research (e.g. engine codes like 7MGE I see everywhere, what generation it is [MKII?], manual & auto trannys).

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to formulate some intelligent questions soon! :smile:

projectsupramk3
08-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Yes there is ALOT of information you can soak up about these cars. I've been at it for almost seven years now and I still learn something new everyday, just have to take your time and know your limits. :) It's all pretty simple really, Toyota has body groups, and different years get different numbers in series. So the MKII (what you have, 82-86) chassis code is the A61 or A60. Since they have the M series engine (5M-GE) then it is called the MA61. The 6M-GE (3.0L version of the 5M) came in the later year MKII's in Japan. The MKIII (86.5-92) is mostly called the MA70, and again since it came with an M series engine (7M-GE and 7M-GTE) that is where the M comes from. There is also the GA70 (1G-GE/1G-GTE engine) and the JZA70 (1JZ-GTE) so you understand easier. I don't know a whole lot about MKII's so if you have alot of questions you might want to try searching supraforums.com first since there is an entire MKII section there. Good luck, don't hesitate to post if you have some questions and I'll help where I can :bigthumb: .

Add your comment to this topic!