Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

a518 tranny swap

atrapada
08-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Hi
Need some tech help. Have a 94 1500 ram 2wd 318 automatic. Trying to replace tranny. Using a A518 but was told the tranny I took out is a A500 and the two are not interchangeable. I cannot find out any info on this supposed A500? Both trannies are exactly alike except for one plug that is extra on the A518 - this is supposed to be an external speed control sensor? This plug is not on the original tranny and have been told because its an internal sensor within the tranny casing. Have 4 different "experts" telling me 4 different things. Did the 94 ram ever have a different transmission besides the A518 - I've never heard of such a thing. And if so - is there a adapter/conversion kit for this plug or can it be by passed? thanks for anyone out there who can help or has knowledge of either one of these trannies!!!

curtishall
08-02-2005, 03:58 AM
Hi
Need some tech help. Have a 94 1500 ram 2wd 318 automatic. Trying to replace tranny. Using a A518 but was told the tranny I took out is a A500 and the two are not interchangeable. I cannot find out any info on this supposed A500? Both trannies are exactly alike except for one plug that is extra on the A518 - this is supposed to be an external speed control sensor? This plug is not on the original tranny and have been told because its an internal sensor within the tranny casing. Have 4 different "experts" telling me 4 different things. Did the 94 ram ever have a different transmission besides the A518 - I've never heard of such a thing. And if so - is there a adapter/conversion kit for this plug or can it be by passed? thanks for anyone out there who can help or has knowledge of either one of these trannies!!!

My father in law has a '94 1500 2wd 360 which has a 727 in it.

Add your comment to this topic!