Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Desperate Need Of Help Please!!!!

sscheller
08-01-2005, 10:33 AM
I HAVE A 1988 CADILLAC ELDORADO, AND RECENTLY THE STARTER HAS GONE OUT. AT LEAST THAT IS ONE OPTION I HAVE. IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS MY EARS ARE OPEN.MY E-MAIL IS S_SCHELLER003@HOTMAIL.COM I AM IN NEED OF FAST RESULTS. THANKS TO ALL WHO TOOK THE TIME.

ctesla
08-02-2005, 09:04 AM
I HAVE A 1988 CADILLAC ELDORADO, AND RECENTLY THE STARTER HAS GONE OUT. AT LEAST THAT IS ONE OPTION I HAVE. IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS MY EARS ARE OPEN.MY E-MAIL IS S_SCHELLER003@HOTMAIL.COM I AM IN NEED OF FAST RESULTS. THANKS TO ALL WHO TOOK THE TIME.

...and what is it you exactly want ideas on???
how to tear out and replace? what the worst case scenario is on mechanic's labor? is there anything else it could be besides a starter?
we've got yr/make/model,
now help us out and tell us mileage, maintenance, and what it was doing prior to quiting on you. ALL info is helpful.

ctesla@sbcglobal.net
ASE cert.instructor

sscheller
08-16-2005, 02:47 PM
well... we have replaced the battery, and put in a new starter, and it still wont start. i need ideas on what else i can try to get it to start.

ctesla
08-16-2005, 04:02 PM
well... we have replaced the battery, and put in a new starter, and it still wont start. i need ideas on what else i can try to get it to start.

did it just quit one day while running?
no overheat, just one day came out wouldn't crank?

-you've got new batt. and new starter-
do the battery cables have good contact?
is it cranking now (w/new starter) but not firing?
or is it not cranking at all?
are you getting power in the vehicle? elec seats ok, horn, lights on dash?

if it is trying to crank, see if the plugs are getting spark.
if not: electronic control module and/or coil?
if it is not cranking at all, is it clicking?
maybe ignition switch?

the three basics are: air, fuel, spark
a clogged air filter, may cause a no start scenario (I've seen it on mid80s Camaros), but usually this isn't the case
fuel delivery: assuming maint. has been done ok. but if it is cranking, a clogged filter would not usually (I use this term again) cause no start, but, is the TBI getting fuel? when it cranks, can you smell or see the fuel stream?
spark: the one that catches all other problems...
if she's cranking, could pull the belt off, to insure A/C or alt. isn't seized, causing starter to pull double duty, turning frozen pulley; again, assuming she's cranking.
if you take the plug wire off a plug and crank, if you get spark, it won't be coil or module.
this is an Eldo, ever had the ECM (computer) replaced?

Add your comment to this topic!