Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Towing car 1100 miles

leexoc
07-31-2005, 04:35 PM
Hi --

I have a 5-speed 98 Rodeo V6, and I am thinking of using it to tow my car from San Diego to Colorado Springs. The curb weight of the car is 3175lbs, and I would like to use a full trailer because it's a lowered sports car and the half-trailer just won't be a good idea. Any advice or any experiences with this kind of thing? Most of the old towing threads talk about issues with auto trannies and putting them in "power mode" whatever that is ... but that's not something I have to worry about.

Thanks in advance for any good input on this. :)

- Lee

Ramblin Fever
07-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Once you add that trailer you'll be up over 4K#.

I've never done that with a 5-speed - do it all the time with my auto.

Check your owners manual and make absolute certain you can tow that kind of weight with the 98 5-speed. I only have the 97 owners manual and my truck weights a bit more then the 98+ yrs.

If your book says it's alright - note, I'm not trying to be a smart ellick here, I just don't know what the 98+'s towing capacity is. I'd be taking the long way to Colorado Springs, i.e. go down through New Mexico and up into Colorado that way.

I would NOT recommend towing that kind of weight up through Grand Junction and down the I-70 corridor - that's too much load behind that truck in those mountains, not only will you stand the chance of burning out your clutch, down shifting, your truck alone may not have the braking ability to stop that trailer on a downhill run.

It can tow it, most likely, just find the flatest route and go slow, and make absolute certain that trailer has it's own brakes - if not, don't do it. And don't exceed your vehicles towing capacity irregardless whether or not the trailer has it's own brakes.

Ramblin Fever
07-31-2005, 05:01 PM
One other thing - check ALL fluids, make sure they're fairly fresh if possible, especially the antifreeze, oil and clutch. And make sure to change your clutch and oil fluids when your done - for best advise.

leexoc
07-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks - all that sounds like good advice. Yea the towing capacity is 4500 so I'd be pushing it but it would still be under the limit. And you know what? For me, the short way *is* through AZ and NM ... though there are still some steep grades especially on I-17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff. But yea I would just creep along at 50-60 etc. It would probably also help if I went when it wasn't 100 degrees out, but I don't know how long it's going to be hot like it is now. Anyway, thanks again.

Ramblin Fever
07-31-2005, 05:48 PM
Yeah, it's been unusually hot here in the Rockies as well.

Cat Fuzz
07-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Gawd, just be carefull. Short wheelbased vehicles aren't good for towing. You can lose it really easily.

campo
08-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Yeah, Trailer brakes,and a set of brass balls.

rodeo02
08-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Yeah, Trailer brakes,and a set of brass balls.

No doubt about it. My concern with trailering first goes with the ability to stop over the ability to pull. Also, the clutch in the 5spd rodeos have a hard enough time holding up in the truck itself, let alone a trailer load. The 4L30E AT's are not better suited either, unless you have a huge cooler on them & change the ATF constantly.
G/luck
Joel

Add your comment to this topic!