Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

changing out spark plugs...

paulson
07-31-2005, 12:54 AM
While I'm asking questions, I'll also ask this one...

How in the world do you change the spark plug that resides right underneath the steering column...

So far I changed every spark plug but that one...

BlazerLT
07-31-2005, 12:59 AM
You will need to use two elbows and shoot right through the wheel well.

paulson
07-31-2005, 01:07 AM
Well unfortunately that's what I was afraid of...

Too bad there's such little room to work with things under the hood.

So far I've had to change an alternator, an A/C Compressor, and a tps on the damn thing...

Cercion
07-31-2005, 08:11 PM
Heh I just did this yesterday. #3 is a real pain. If you do a search you'll find that alot of other people have had this problem. to get mine out I went in through the wheel well and put the socket on the plug by going over the top of the steering column and used a box end wrench to loosen it.... rest with fingers.

BlazerLS98
08-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Every answer I've seen on any site neglects to mention the very high risk of breaking the spark plug off trying to get the socket on it - even with the knuckles and the extensions, you have to take the rubber insert out of your spark plug socket to make the turn, if you will, and even then it's very difficult to get the socket lined up to slide all the way down over the hex-fitting on the plug, unless you got lucky and you were lined up already.
I just finished doing my 100,000 mile maintenance (and my truck goes like almighty hell now, BTW - new life) and here's how I did it: Using a 9" extension with a knuckle on it, and the 5/8" spark plug socket (with the insert removed), I went under the steering column (the exhaust manifold blocks the over route that I've seen mentioned before - that method is total BS) I slid the socket over the end of the spark plug and pushed it down, and then put the ratchet on the end of the extension and tried to rotate the socket to fit over the hex fitting. This caused the spark plug to break, solving my space problem as I was now able to use a standard 5/8" socket with the 9" extension to remove what remained of the spark plug. I then put the new spark plug into the 5/8" spark plug socket and inserted the new plug by hand.
The most amazing thing I discovered in the process is that later in the maintenance, while changing the oil filter, the design engineers actually MOVED the oil filter boss from the back of the motor (where it is on a 350) to the front crossmember, and provided an access hatch in the skid plate that is clearly marked "OIL FILTER ACCESS." This required routing TWO large oil hoses from the middle-back left of the motor (the original mounting place for the oil boss on the 305/350/400 was directly bolted to the back of the motor) to place the filter in a place where it could be easily changed, as the filter would be harder to change than the left middle plug if left in the original configuration, which is to say damn near impossible. Which design engineer was conscientious enough to move the oil filter FOUR FEET to the front of the motor for easy access but couldn't move the steering gear an INCH to the left (facing front) so you could get a ratchet on the spark plug?

WTF??

TimD

lostmartian63
08-06-2005, 07:57 PM
what I did when I changed mine 2 weeks ago was find a 5/8 socket with a hex end on it that is a little longer than a normal one and used an adjustable wrench to get it loose and then used my fingers to get it the rest of the way out. you can also take the exhaust manifold off and do the same thing if you cant find one long enough to clear it.

patrickswem
08-06-2005, 09:55 PM
I just did mine today. I went through the wheel well with the 5/8s plug socket, rubber insert left in, a 3in extension on that, then a swivel, then a 6in. extension. I had no problems with it.

patrickswem
08-06-2005, 09:58 PM
I just did mine today. I went through the wheel well with the 5/8s plug socket, rubber insert left in, a 3in extension on that, then a swivel, then a 6in. extension. I had no problems with it.

I don't see anyone putting the year of their Blazer in their post, so my method may not work for you. Mine is a '94.

BlazerLT
08-06-2005, 10:35 PM

Smart man.

97BlazerDude
08-07-2005, 08:36 PM
I used the 10 dollar spark plug removal tool they sell at Autozone for all 6 of mine on my 97 Blazer 4.3L - including #3. The tool is just a 12" extension with a 5/8" spark plug socket on the end that can swivel about 15 degrees. Went through the wheelwell on all six I think too. The #3 plug was tough though. I remember thinking to myself "I am glad I don't have an 8 cylinder engine".

Add your comment to this topic!