Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

hard start

strodda
04-29-2002, 07:30 PM
it only happens after its been sitting over night, but the engine turns over a bunch of times before it starts. but it does start. could it be a low battery?? and how would i check that? or what else could it be that easily checkable??

93speed
04-29-2002, 08:15 PM
Mine did something similar to that when I had bad distributor cap. I sprayed some wire-dry on the distributor cap and wires and it started right up. Might be something to try....

Take your battery to autozone. They test them for free.

hondaman-iac
04-29-2002, 08:31 PM
it could be one of this causes:

-malfunctioning fuel system
-leaking injectors
-ditributor rotor carbon tacked
-battery discharged or low

strodda
04-29-2002, 10:21 PM
thanks guys.

one more thing. do those things affect starting all the time? cause throughout the rest of the day the car starts fine. also what do i do when cleaning the dist. cap? is it as simple as unscrewing the bolts and spraying it clean?

93speed
04-30-2002, 05:50 AM
if your talking about my suggestion, I sprayed the outside so It would dry any cracks in the cover. If that turns out to be the problem, I think a new cap is around $25 or so. I can't remember exactly :confused:

hondaman-iac
04-30-2002, 01:58 PM
a bosch one is like 15

strodda
04-30-2002, 08:15 PM
about a week ago my battery died cause i had the radio on for a couple hours while i was cleaning the garage. and i kinda forgot about it. i got it jumped and it hasnt stalled, but could that have anything to do with the hard starts in the morning?

93speed
04-30-2002, 08:21 PM
Take it to AutoZone or Advance Auto or most major parts chains. They can test it for *FREE* and tell you if its good or bad or what.

strodda
04-30-2002, 11:29 PM
im gonna goto autozone tomm to check my battery, thanx for the idea.

also, i went on their website and they said the #1 probable cause of a hard cold start is the air sensor. i think the sensor was part of that little black box bolted to the sidewall just behind the right headlight/next to the battery. it was part of all the tubes that i took out with the resonator box. and i had nothing to hook it up to when i put in the intake.

what did everyone else do with that little box??

Add your comment to this topic!