Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil all over spark plugs

killerbuds
07-30-2005, 01:18 PM
i have a 1990 accord lx and my #3plug was totally covered in oil when I took it out today I read this is probally a spark plug gasket problem and to get a valve cover gasket set. im pretty much a virgin to this. so i was wondering how hard it is. Will it be as easy as taking the valve cover off swapping out the gaskets and bolt the cover back on ??im afraid im goin to have an explosion parts when i take the valve cover off
Can someone please explain this process THANX

BullShifter
07-31-2005, 02:03 AM
Valve cover removal is simple, don't be affraid.

Remove spark plug wires
Remove vacuum hoses
Remove ground wire
Remove nuts/bolts

Removing the seals can be a pain some times, normally a screwdriver will get them out.

If there are washers under the valve cover bolts/nuts remove them before taking off the valve cover so they don't get lost or fall in the engine.

When reinstalling make sure to put Hondabond or silicone gasket on the new valve cover gasket by the cam cut outs, the only 4 flat spots on the gasket. Skip this and you can count on an oil leak.

Do not over tighten valve cover hardware, the studs can break easily.

superdesi
08-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Just be advised that if you only do the valve cover spark plug seals, it may be likely that the leak will come back. There are also some tube seals that are underneath the rocker arms and they go bad too and cause leaks to appear on plugs.

ProMan
08-07-2005, 11:25 PM
This leak is normally at the bottom of the plug tube. You need to take the tube off, apply liquid gasket or high temp sealant on the thread of the tube and reinstall it.

mpumas
08-08-2005, 01:50 AM
Proman: Does the plug tubes just screw in. Is it necessary to remove the rocker arms?

ProMan
08-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Don't think so. You should be able to just remove the tubes.

BullShifter
08-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Don't think so. You should be able to just remove the tubes.
Wrong you have to take the whole rocker assy. off and re-adjust valves afterwards. Don't use sealant buy the right parts from Honda. For this procedure I highly recommend a manual so you can get proper torque specs.

www.helminc.com for Honda reapair manuals, not the cheap kind sold in parts stores.

Add your comment to this topic!