Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Rodeo Auto Trans

dave00092
07-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Hi, I have a 94 v6 4x4 (195k) with an auto trans. When the engine warms up it slips now in all gears. I have gotten repair shop opinions all over the map --- mostly 'get a rebuilt'. But last week the local independant trans shop said 'its a GM 30 transmission - have you changed the 2 filters'?

Well, the dealear and my Haynes manual say it does not have a filter --- only a screen.

Question: Is it infact a GM (Hydramatic) transmission and does it have filters? If it a Hydramatic --- a rebuilt should be cheap - not the $1800 to 3400 being quoted.

anthonyn
07-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi, I have a 94 v6 4x4 (195k) with an auto trans. When the engine warms up it slips now in all gears. I have gotten repair shop opinions all over the map --- mostly 'get a rebuilt'. But last week the local independant trans shop said 'its a GM 30 transmission - have you changed the 2 filters'?

Well, the dealear and my Haynes manual say it does not have a filter --- only a screen.

Question: Is it infact a GM (Hydramatic) transmission and does it have filters? If it a Hydramatic --- a rebuilt should be cheap - not the $1800 to 3400 being quoted.

It's a French made GM transmission model 4L30E. It has a single filter cartridge with a mesh screen. Try replacing the trans fluid if that hasn't been done yet. Ebay has rebuilt transmissions for around 900 - 1000 bucks. Here is one example :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4L30E-3-2L-2WD-4WD-Isuzu-Rodeo-Transmission_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33727QQite mZ7989785337QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

rodeo02
07-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Dave, you have a GM 4L30E trans in your truck. Same trans used in the earlier cadillac cateras and some BMW 3 series. It's actually an old chevy chevette 3spd auto, modified with a 4th gear and electronics! :uhoh: Try a search for 'range' or 'mode' sensor. This sensor can cause slippage and harsh shifts if it's not sending a clean signal to the onboard computers. A sure-fire way to tell if the range sensor is acting up is if your "PRND321" lights on the dash dont line up with the floor shifter. The 4L30E has a typical rectangular pan shaped screen/filter under the main pan. It also has screens that protect the shift solenoids burried in the valve body like any other electronic AT. Typical lifespan for a well cared for 4L30E is about right where you are at- high 100Kmi range. Typical reman price installed should be around the $2K mark.
G/luck
Joel

dave00092
07-31-2005, 09:23 AM
Hi thanks for the reply --- ...do you think a clogged filter would cause sudden onset of slippage, in all gears (it started slipping first in 4th --- then all when warm) --- it happened over a three day peiod, with maybe 100 miles of moderate driving.

I ma trying to decided whether to have it towed to the local pirates or dive in to changing the filter and fluid myself (as a first step).

P.S. the shift lever and dash indicator do align. It just slips completely when it warms up.

rodeo02
07-31-2005, 12:23 PM
Dave, seeing as the unit will shift when cold, you could try a partial ATF swap, drive it for a few days, see how she acts, pull the pan, change the filter, top it off with fresh ATF again and see how it goes. I'd do a pump out and refill thru the dipstick tube first. You should get around 3-4qts that way. Given the your symptoms and mileage, it's probably toast.
G/luck
Joel

Add your comment to this topic!