Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Mercury Mystique overheating Please Help

lawbj37
07-30-2005, 03:31 AM
My 1995 Mystique is overheating. I've had a new theromastate put in, and the mechanic said the head gaskets and everything else looked to be fine. That was 1 weeks ago, now the car is overheating again. I've put some "stop leak" in and that worked for about 1 week. I've been told that is the water pump, but I don't know where to find it, or even how to get to it. The car manuel does not show me the engine or anything, but where to put in fluids.

I know that you all are thinking is this person stupid, but no not stupid, just igorent to the fact that I don't work on cars much. I've had to learn several things about cars and truck since my father died and I'm a woman whom just had double fusin back surgery 5 months ago. I have been under the car 2 times trying to fix it, but now I'm at a loss.

I could really use some information where I could find out where the water pump is and how to replace it. I've been researching the internet for help, but so far have not had any luck.

Please help,
Lawbj37

beyondloadedSE
07-30-2005, 12:39 PM
I4 or V6?

FavoriteMystaque
07-31-2005, 11:18 PM
My 1995 Mystique is overheating. I've had a new theromastate put in, and the mechanic said the head gaskets and everything else looked to be fine. That was 1 weeks ago, now the car is overheating again. I've put some "stop leak" in and that worked for about 1 week. I've been told that is the water pump, but I don't know where to find it, or even how to get to it. The car manuel does not show me the engine or anything, but where to put in fluids.

I know that you all are thinking is this person stupid, but no not stupid, just igorent to the fact that I don't work on cars much. I've had to learn several things about cars and truck since my father died and I'm a woman whom just had double fusin back surgery 5 months ago. I have been under the car 2 times trying to fix it, but now I'm at a loss.

I could really use some information where I could find out where the water pump is and how to replace it. I've been researching the internet for help, but so far have not had any luck.

Please help,
Lawbj37
If you have the Duratec 2.5 V6, the waterpump is under the Duratec plastic cover on the right side when you are looking at the engine from the front of the car. If that is your engine, you need the waterpump, Autozone or Napa can provide a metal impeller type. The original is a black plastic impeller type and you will find it has broken into 2-4 pieces. Once you replace that, and the belt and antifreeze, your car will be fine. Another good site is www.contour.org, very active site. This site also looks good, I just signed up here. If you have the 4 cyl, could be the electric cooling fan is not triggering when it's hot.

KimMG
07-31-2005, 11:41 PM
Get a Haynes manual for your car. They are not to expensive. You will find step by step instructions on how to make repairs. If you have an idea what the water pump looks like, it is attached to one the pulleys. Look at all the pulleys the belts ride on.

FavoriteMystaque
08-01-2005, 09:46 PM
If you have the Duratec 2.5 V6, the waterpump is under the Duratec plastic cover on the right side when you are looking at the engine from the front of the car. If that is your engine, you need the waterpump, Autozone or Napa can provide a metal impeller type. The original is a black plastic impeller type and you will find it has broken into 2-4 pieces. Once you replace that, and the belt and antifreeze, your car will be fine. Another good site is www.contour.org, very active site. This site also looks good, I just signed up here. If you have the 4 cyl, could be the electric cooling fan is not triggering when it's hot.The waterpump could be bad in the 4 cylinder as well, not as common of a problem.

lawbj37
08-02-2005, 01:37 PM
I would like to thank all of you that replied to my problem with my car. It will all be helpful and thanks again.

God Bless
Lawbj37

earl11
11-15-2005, 07:39 PM
if you have the 2.0 ltr 4 cyclinder your water pump is behind the timing belt it is a good idea to change water pump when you do your timing belt or vice versus

Add your comment to this topic!