01 Sante Fe..ALL MINE!

mixtronic
07-30-2005, 01:57 AM
Hi, i'm an 18 year old college student in new york and my parents handed me down a 2001 santa fe with 75k that my mom drove for 4 years...it was built in Feb of 01, and suffered 2 accidents (staten island drivers are crazy). we had the car in for warranty service 2 times (an engine sensor recall and the drivers side window falling out of its tracks and shattering.)

i just want to know a few things:
1. when did production of the santa fe start?
2. whats the horsepower/torque at the wheels?
3. is the all wheel drive system always split 60/40, or is it wheel power on-demand?

I also have 2 problems with the car, the drivers side window makes a screeching nose when its lowered and the fuel economy has gone down.

Otherwise, i love my baby and wouldn't dream of a better first car.

twospirits
07-31-2005, 08:11 PM
So many questions, so many answers...
I hope I don't lose you in my responses. :p1. when did production of the santa fe start?
A bit of History...
The Santa Fe was first talked (officially) about by Hyundai back in Jan 1998 (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/1-7-98/389648&EDATE=), but was actually being designed in 1997 by the Design Studio in California. It was officially shown at the North American Auto Show in Detroit in Jan, 1999 (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-05-1999/0000838007&EDATE=) as a concept vehicle. In June 99 (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/06-01-1999/0000952691&EDATE=), Hyundai decided to apply the name to the actual production vehicle, and it premiered on Feb 9 (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-08-2000/0001135775&EDATE=), 2000 in Colorado. Actual Korean production started in August 2000 and overseas production in Sept 2000. 406 vehicles (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/10-03-2000/0001328939&EDATE=)were sold in Sept 2000.2. whats the horsepower/torque at the wheels?
for the 4 cyl its 156 pounds of torque and for the V6 its 177 pounds of torque.3. is the all wheel drive system always split 60/40, or is it wheel power on-demand?
First a bit of info..
This page (http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?srv=parser&act=display&tf=/advice/shopping/4wd_demystified/index.tmpl) explains the different systems of four wheel drive systems, as well as this page (http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/awd.html).

Now, the 2.7 (mechanical "AWD" system) older model and the newer variable AWD system on the 3.5's are quite different.
The mechanical system is an innovative use of existing techology and is a true permanent 4WD drive system, just like the Audi Quattro is, but with a different execution. It combines the center differential and front differential into a single unit, called appropriately enough, the Double Differential Unit (which was designed by Daimler-Steyr-Puch of Graz Austria). The compact Double Differential Unit serves as both the front differential and the centre differential and is located inside the four-speed automatic transaxle housing. The unique DDU uses two planetary gear sets one for the left side and one for the right side to deliver torque from the engine to the wheels. Power is delivered to the rear wheels via both a viscous coupling and helical drive gear. In normal on-street situations, the power is delivered to the wheels by the helical gear. The viscous coupling action is bypassed.

Handling the limited slip function between front and rear axles is a well proven viscous coupling. The viscous coupling consists of a series of parallel plates riding in thixatropic silicone fluid. A thixatropic fluid is one in which heat causes a reaction. Both are contained in a small welded housing. When all four wheels have similar traction (they are spinning at the same speed) the plates rotate at the same speed and the viscous coupling has no effect. However, in low-traction situations, such as if one wheel loses traction and starts to spin faster than the other wheels, the coupling locks the front and rear wheels together, channelling more torque to the end of the vehicle (front or rear) with the most traction.

Now, the advertised torque split of the mechanical system is 60:40 all the time (or so they say), front biased. Being a full time system, this can momentarily vary as when cornering, and provides predictable handling and good stability. It takes a bit of extra power and mpg's to run it.
When analysing the Double Differential Unit, the torque flow paths within are a little convoluted, but it is a novel, compact solution to providing permanent 4WD. Probably why it was awarded patent number 6,001,043.

Technically the Interactive Torque management II system on the newer Santa Fes' (the ITM-1 was introduced on the Acura MDX) by Borg Warner is classified as an on-demand type of system and is used on the 3.5 later models. Normally in an on-demand system there is a primary axle--either front or rear--and a secondary axle which is powered if and only if the primary loses traction (ie, spins). In reality, Borg Warner seems to have done an execllent job of designing the ITM-2 system. For example the torque is sent rearward with greater than 4/3 throttle during acceraltion. It factors in throttle, steering angle, wheel speeds and even what gear the trans is in.
While the vehicle is not the most practical vehicle to go off-roading in, it's practical where it counts. Hyundai really has outdone themselves with the Santa Fe. Not even vehicles that cost hundreds or thousands more are made or engineered as good.

TS out

mixtronic
07-31-2005, 11:30 PM
My baby was assembled on Feb 1, 2001, bought May 5th, 2001 and was given to me July 28th, 2005.

I hold that car near and dear to me, and love it like it was my own child.
As far as the 4WD system, it dawned on me just now that Hyundai was really serious about making this truck a truly serious contender. They don't get enough credit where it's due. I'd only replace my Fe with a new Tiburon or maybe the 06 Sonata (I actually find it sexy :22yikes: ).

Although, I noticed the wear is very low on my rear tires, but my front tires are just done. I'd say 10% is left upfront, and 70-80% in back. Wouldn't the wear be more in the back? Maybe Hyundai tricked me and put the 4WD lettering on the back to fool me :screwy: That's why I enquired about the 4WD system.

Anyways

Thank twospirits, you know so much about this car, made a website that shows what the car is capable of (I really want to do the rear secondary tail light mod) and make me more knowlegable about my car.

twospirits
08-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Well the front brake scenario is the same what I expeirenced on my Santa Fe. I guess its due to all that NYC stop and go driving. The front pads are always less than the rear.

The rear fog light/brake modification is quite easy, you just need to take the time and read the instructions and get the necessary parts to do it.
Speaking of instructions, if you haven't noticed I slightly (slightly being an understatement) overdo my step by step instructions. Don't feel intimidated by their length and words. I rather give way more instructional detail than having too little to explain and leave the installer confused as to what to do.

Good luck on the rear lights mod.

As for replacing the Santa Fe with another vehicle, sacriledge. :cwm27:
Seriously though, I always had a soft spot for the Tiburon, but being the only driver in the house and having to schlep 3 family members to work in a Tib would be quite difficult. I do like the new Sonata and I can hardly wait for the new Santa Fe coming out at the end of next year. It also looks good. Now if I can only hit the lottery, than I can get all three. :grinyes:

TS out

twospirits
08-01-2005, 08:41 AM
You know, (I forgot to add and I'm too lazy to edit my above post,) but I too have that a drivers side window problem. But its not falling out of the track, but rather that it sometimes goes quite slow being raised up. They have already replaced the runner and that fixed it, but every once in a while it slows down. And as luck would have it, everytime I take it in, it fixes itself. :banghead: Other than that, I love my truck.

Now if I can only stop these idiots from crashing into me I'll be happy.

TS out

Freval
12-05-2005, 05:34 PM
:rofl: Hey Twospirit, Now that I see your pic, I think I have seen you a couple of times running around in NY. :iceslolan

twospirits
12-05-2005, 07:27 PM
:rofl: Hey Twospirit, Now that I see your pic, I think I have seen you a couple of times running around in NY. :iceslolanOh my God, if it isn't the Chrome King. Whats up Freval. Yeah I missed you the last time you were in NY, oh well. As for my avatar being me, bite me. :p

TS out

Add your comment to this topic!