Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

warped dashboard

mgs2006
07-30-2005, 12:16 AM
Hey my dash on my 00' alero is so warped up by the windshield that slowly but surely its starting to warp down the whole entire dash, it looks terrible! how much is it to get a new dash put in from the dealer, or any other suggestions? i wiped the dash pretty throughly and it seemed to make the warping not-so noticeable, but it still looks terrible...any ideas?

JTrujillo86
07-30-2005, 12:51 PM
I was lucky enough to catch the warping problems before my warranty ran out. Both the dash and one door panel were warping. On the invoice that I got from the dealer after my car was done, the dash cost the dealer about $550 and the door panel was $250....and that was factory to dealer pricing. I think it's safe to say it will cost you an arm and a leg. You can try checking GMPartsDirect.com to see if you can get it any cheaper there, then see what the dealer will charge for install. I think the dash pads on that website were about $480, so still a bit cheaper.

Jeremy

s_f_x
09-15-2005, 12:51 AM
How did it get warped?

JTrujillo86
09-15-2005, 01:38 PM
They use cheap clue to hold the stuff down. When it happens on the dash, the top layer seperates and looks like the head of a Sharpei. With the door panels, it comes unglued where it meets the window and looks like a bunch of ripples going across the top of the panel.

In my case when the dash warped, it started to separate where the two tones on the dash meet just above the glove box.

Jeremy

mgs2006
09-20-2005, 08:09 PM
My cars tan part of the dash right by the airbag (the small colored section) is starting to come off at the very top, is it going to warp so bad that its gonna fall off? I dont wanna spend 500 or 600 bucks on a new dash cuz it probably isnt worth it

PotIsYourFriend
09-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Mine hasnt warped but the cover on the on the air bag has started to peel off and the very top part of the dashboard thats right by the windshield has turned white and goes end to end... Really annoying.......

And MGS2006 it's not worth having someone else fix it but worth doing yourself..

mgs2006
09-21-2005, 06:37 PM
it sounds like a really hard job to take the dash off and put a new one in or whatever it is that it needs. anyone done it before?

vamc
09-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Not going to toutch this one, sorry man!

JTrujillo86
09-26-2005, 01:21 AM
Ummm, there is a lot to it. First and foremost, the steering wheel, stero head, and shift knob all need to come off. Personally, I can't see how anyone other than the dealership or a really good independent place could do it. I wouldn't want anyone else doing it just due to the fact that I'm affraid of them messing with the air bags and I'm not too fond of dash rattles...hence, I would like it to be done correctly.

Jeremy

vamc
09-26-2005, 01:46 PM
I do agree with you on that though.

mgs2006
09-26-2005, 11:29 PM
ehh, screw it then the car wont last forever anyways with 90k on it, i can live with a warped dashboard among a few other things.

whitealero
09-27-2005, 08:07 AM
Anyone have any experience with those plastic molded dash covers that glue on over the existing dash? Seems like an easy fix but have never actually seen one in use.

blandon7
09-27-2005, 11:45 AM
Just wanted to add that the grey vinyl is peeling off the dash of my 2000 Alero. Had an auto body interior guy attempt to glue it back down but it still peeled right back up anyway. Its the area directly in front of the steering wheel near the base of the windshield. Looks like sh*t. GM dealer said they have seen a few do that but no warranty fix is available.

mgs2006
09-27-2005, 07:39 PM
i was thinking of getting one of those dashmats that look like carpet over the dash, its ugly yes, but it will protect it from the sun which is good.

PotIsYourFriend
09-28-2005, 07:08 PM
i was thinking of getting one of those dashmats that look like carpet over the dash, its ugly yes, but it will protect it from the sun which is good.

LOL, god those things are ugly as hell... But for an Alero it's ok but not for an expensive car.......

Add your comment to this topic!