Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'92 shadow won't start

shadowowner
07-29-2005, 05:48 PM
If the timing belt slips off is it possible or even likely that the timimg gets so messed up the engine won't start? This has happened and I'm looking for ideas. Thanks

ricebike
08-27-2005, 01:59 AM
yes

theFREAKnasty82
08-29-2005, 10:09 PM
you could have even done serious damage to your engine, i.e. valve train. Could now have a bent valve(s) if the timing skipped a tooth.

ricebike
08-30-2005, 11:34 AM
you could have even done serious damage to your engine, i.e. valve train. Could now have a bent valve(s) if the timing skipped a tooth.

not necessarily on this type of engine.

look here for the list of engines:

http://www.troublecodes.net/tbelt/chryslertb.shtml

if you got the "interference engine" (*), then you'll be in a world of hurt as quoted by the fellow member.:uhoh:

if you got the "freewheeling engine," then you'll be ok as far as valve-to-piston clearances. you may not get the engine running, but @ least you won't haveta rip the head off to inspect for bent valves :loser:

i personally experienced this w/ an 88 dodge k-car 2.5L... belt snapped, but i was able to put it back to service just by aligning the timing marks & installing a new one. :iceslolan alas, i've moved on to a nissan 240sx (mmm, timing chain)

SikEnCide
09-20-2005, 11:13 AM
if u have the 2.5 4 cly you will have no problem i had my timing belt skip a few teeth and then shred itself while i was doen 80mph.... coasted to a stop got a tow. replaced the belt and htere are no valve taps no problems.. just simple alinging for hte timing if u buy a maitnance guid it tells u everything...... only problem was i had to remove the passenger side engine mount to do so

Add your comment to this topic!