Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Performance in a '98 Accord?

hicdragon
04-29-2002, 02:30 AM
I have a '98 4cyl Accord with a 5-speed and it needs some more balls. Any know of any low cost Horsepower improvements I can do besides an intake or spark plugs?

99AccordCoupe
04-29-2002, 07:37 PM
Exhaust, intake, headers. That will free up some ponies. But it's not cheap. Put a K&N drop in. That's cheap. You won't get more horsepower, but the throttle will be a little more responsive and you'll never have to buy another filter again. :smoker2:

hicdragon
04-30-2002, 12:23 AM
I have already installed an AEM CAI as well as Iridium spark plugs. I am thinking of just having a muffler shop cut my catalytic converter out and installing a straight pipe. Any suggestions?

VTECseoul
04-30-2002, 07:47 AM
that's illegal...as long as you don't get caught, power to ya. Nitrous kits start off at $500/50hp=$10 per hp. better than $200 for 4hp (AEM cai) - $25 per hp

VTECseoul
04-30-2002, 07:51 AM
you can also get a FlowTech Warlock muffler. it has a plate that you can remove & it'll be a straight pipe for making runs on the track (or street since you'll be illegal anyway)

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/ES/ESFT/Warlock.html

hicdragon
04-30-2002, 11:24 AM
Does the Warlock just dump the exhaust right out of the muffler or do you have to run two tips?

JasonAccord98LX
06-21-2002, 12:53 AM
running no exhaust on a 98 accord will screw up the backpressure and actually slow you down. Never remove the catalytic converter and replace it with just a straight pipe. Unlike the old american V8 cars, this will not help you.

wagsaccordsir
06-21-2002, 06:52 AM
My suggestion on the cat, yes its not only illegal, but it may cause problems down the road for ya.. Heres what I did, I bought a Random Technologies High Flow Cat.. www.optauto.com It runs about 215 bones, but it is 50 state legal... This may be what your looking for.. But if you do anything with your exhaust you need to make sure you make it proportional all the way from the headers back. New headers new cat and the rest all the way back.. If you do just cat back, it like having a small mouth and a big asshole, and if you do new headers and no cat, well you do the math.. Dont forget your CAI..

cardo
06-24-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by JasonAccord98LX
running no exhaust on a 98 accord will screw up the backpressure and actually slow you down. Never remove the catalytic converter and replace it with just a straight pipe. Unlike the old american V8 cars, this will not help you.

I agree with the backpressure part. Unless you have a lot of cubic inches (V8) or radical blown engine, the straight pipe is almost 100% guarantee to kill power, especially low end torque. It did on my 350 Trans Am.
Now I don't understand why putting a straight pipe in place of the CC would kill power or cause any problems.......can some one explain??
Rick

wagsaccordsir
06-24-2002, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure in how accurate I am in saying this, but my understanding is that the OBD II Engine has two sensors, one before the cat and one after.. The cat has a purpose to serve, it cuts down on the emissions and bs (I'm assuming) So if there is nothing there that rear sensor will detect something wrong and trip your check engine light, once this happens your car goes into safe mode.. Which means you will get poor gas mileage and no horsies. If you are at 200hp when your car goes into standby it could knock it down to 90hp or so, until you get the sensor fixed.. A high flow cat allows more flow, but it still filters the emissions.. Now like I said don't quote me on this, but thats what my understanding from things I've read and heard.. Granted it all could be bullshit I'm hearing, but it does make sense... I'd say ask a muffler shop, but then again they want your money so they will come up with all kinds of shit wrong with your car.. So who do you trust? I dunno, somebody who really knows will either back me up or contest.

Add your comment to this topic!