Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Vanagon

Tosh Hawke
07-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Ok here goes-- Basic problem: Dynamic oil pressure light and buzzer going off. Symptom first noticed after driving long distances coasting from a higher speed to a lower speed, then would go off after driving the lower speed for about a minute or two. Now it is on and stays on. Things done to correct the problem: Changed both oil pressure units, replaced oil pump, pulled driver's side head off as spark plug #2 wasn't firing right(found that the intake valve seat had worn and had it repaired), replaced all gaskets ( might add that this van only has 125,000 miles when I bought the van it had 57,000 miles and I've owned it for about 2 years now). The van runs great!! and there are no oil leaks and oil level remains full. At first start up light stays off until about 5 minutes of driving (regardless of speed) then comes on and stays on. And last while thinking the obvious....Had the dynamic oil pressure sensor replaced thinking it may be faulty, but same problem exists! The only other matter I found was that the van runs slightly warmer than normal. It's norm has been just below the light on the gauge with the air running and now it runs just slightly over the light and fan runs a little more but the van never over heats. Antifreeze levels are constant and the van doesn't smoke at all. Other than disabling the buzzer and living with a blinking light does anyone have any suggestions? Rule of thumb is that that sensor is there for a reason and going off may be some problem I haven't addressed yet. Thanks for your time. Tosh

grandmastergd
09-24-2005, 02:11 AM
first things first, check the oil pressure with a screw in gauge. you changed the oil pump but did you check pressure? (could be a pressure relief valve sticking) good luck

Tosh Hawke
09-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the response-I'll check pressure and advise. Could you advise as to where such valve(pressure relief valve) is located? Again thanks for your time Tosh

westyman
12-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Tosh, call Go Westy I was talking to Lucas about a sinilar problem, He has a new design sensor that eliminates that situation. You could stry installing a manual oil pressure gauge and see exactly whats going on

Good Luck

Bob

Add your comment to this topic!