Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

305 tbi into s10 blazer

blazed up
07-28-2005, 10:39 AM
i wonder if anybody has has swapped the 4.3 tbi and replaced it with a 305 tbi i need to confirm engine wiring on both engines are the same the blazer is a 1989 model the 305 came out of a camaro which is also 1989.also will i be able to use my original ecu or will it have to be changed . or can the eprom in it just be changed . so people is anything to look out for doing this swap i,m not changing the gearbox its got a 700r4 in it and i,m not gonna change the rad .

bigd7315
07-28-2005, 01:48 PM
the thigs I have found out so far are the ecm will work on the 305 but the tranny will not hold up long and you have to take the injecters out of the throttle body on the camaro and put them in the throttle body on the blazer w the 305 because the plugs are different on the throttle bodies but the airflow is the same on both 670 cfm just a higher pph injecter so once you change the injecters you should work but keep in mind the tranny won't last a great deal of time with the added torque
the actual # on your swap are the 4.3 has 160 hp and 260 ftlb of torque while the 305 has 170 -190 hp with 310-320 ftlb of torque so keep in mind if you want to blaze the tires alot or kick it around be prepared to rebuild the tranny and when it gets rebuilt has a shift kit at 2400 stall and kelflar clutches put in and she will hold up afterwards

lostmartian63
07-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Doing the engin swap is pretty easy but it would be useless to swap it for a 305 because they dont make that much more power, suck gas, and are all around not a good engine if i was you i would swap it with a 350 small block or something higher. also if you put the heads from that 305 on the 350 it will give you a much higher compression. My cousin and i put a 396 in a s10 last summer and the first time we drove it it ripped every tooth off the ring gear so we put a chevy 12 bolt in it so changing the rear end may also be a good idea to make sure it can support the added power/torque. but a 10 bolt chould be suffecient for that. also if it is a 4x4 model you will have to get a custom oil pan for the new engine so it can clear the front diff. And the 700r4 can hold up to about 380 hp and 450 ft/lbs of torque stock I know this because the 396 had that power rating and weve been draggin it against rice burners and kicking there asses for about a year now and it doesnt even slip. We also put a b&m shift improver kit in it and that was probably one of the best mods for the price ive seen its easy to install and costs 32 bucks from jegs.

BlazerLT
07-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Moved to Blazer Section.

Tangent
07-29-2005, 01:10 PM
If you're going to go through the trouble of an engine swap don't use an L03! I had an 89 Camaro with the TBI305 and a 5 speed. With a full exhaust (Headers, 3" cat, 3" cat-back) open element air filter, advanced timing, and a chip I still only got ~ 225hp and 300TQ out of it. That was good for mid-low 15s on a manual tranny Camaro. On a slush box Blazer you're not even going to have that speed.

Unless you have a Blazer with a dead engine and a totalled Camaro with a good L03 you should save up some more money and at least buy an LT-1...

Add your comment to this topic!