Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Belt squeels for a few seconds

buckeyboy
07-27-2005, 07:25 AM
Hey guy's 97 Blazer the problem is the belt squeels for 4-5 seconds when I hit the throttle with the AC on. heres the prob tentioner is new the Belt is new and the compressor is one year old oridgional factory replacement. could the unit be over or under charged. :screwy:

BlazerLT
07-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Is the tensioner properly adjusted?

How much play is in the belt? It should be rather tight.

buckeyboy
07-27-2005, 02:03 PM
Is the tensioner properly adjusted?

How much play is in the belt? It should be rather tight. Its spring loades with a bolt in the center I did not know it was adjustable . if so how do you go about adjusting it please.

wolfox
07-27-2005, 03:32 PM
The only way to check for an overcharge is to rent or borrow a set of balance gagues from someone in the know. Barring that, one of those Interdynamics recharge kits that comes with a low-side pressure gague will give you a good hint as to what's going on. The tensioner is fixed, and cannot be adjusted. It's pre-loaded at the factory and that is what it will be set at, no way to *safely* change it's tension in the average home garage. I heartily recomend against it. Since you say it is a new belt too, then it has me stumped. By try this:

Turn the A/C on and open the hood with the engine idle. It's normal to see the tensioner wiggle a little as the system is running. If it's slapping around enough to cause slack running, you have found your problem. If it's wiggling away happily and still only makes a squeal when you hit the gas - try a spray can of Belt Dressing. Use the spray tube it comes with to lightly cover both sides of the belt as it runs by on the idling engine. Needless to say, work safely when you get this close to a moving engine. Just a light spray on the smooth side, and then the tube to direct the spray by the idler on the other side (ribbed side) so it's just glossy looking will most likely silence her up. Not too much now - just enough to enhance the grip and help the belt wear in.

gserve
07-27-2005, 03:42 PM
DO NOT! use belt dressing on a serpentine belt per the GM garage. I had a sqeak when starting the engine cold with a nearly new belt Changed belt and problem went away. Try it.

wolfox
07-27-2005, 03:46 PM
I never had to dress a GM belt either, as is what's confusing me. But what are the specifics for not using dressing? I am curious...

BlazerLT
07-27-2005, 05:25 PM
never use a dressing.

What needs to be done is have the squealing source found.

buckeyboy
07-29-2005, 09:51 AM
never use a dressing.

What needs to be done is have the squealing source found.
:disappoin No Dressing learned that the hard way in the past when the sc cycles on and off at idle no problem it slipps when I give it gas I think I better check the pressure because I had the compressor changed last year and it never did this till I had it changed. thanks fellas.

BlazerLT
07-29-2005, 12:00 PM
find the source bro, have someone rev while you locate where it is actually squealing.

buckeyboy
07-29-2005, 12:10 PM
find the source bro, have someone rev while you locate where it is actually squealing. will do LT let ya know on Monday how I make out thanks again.
:wink:

lostmartian63
07-29-2005, 07:29 PM
This is a nice trick I learned from an old mecanic I dont know if its legal with the epa but who cares? Take some brake fluid and moisten a rag with it. Then start your truck up and put the rag to the belt just enough so that it rubs the brake fluid onto it but not so hard that the belt flies off and kills you, make sure you get both sides of the belt it doest take much just enough to make the belt a little shiney let your truck run for a couple minuts and thats it. im not sure how it works but all I know is is stops belt sqeaking and doesnt cost anything (if you have some old fluid lying around)

BlazerLT
07-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Good tip if the beslt was used but he said it was brand new.

Has to be a pulley that is sezed.

blazee
07-30-2005, 07:20 AM
What kind of belt is it?

I've always liked and used Dayco belts. My blazer had an old Gates belt that was put on before I got it. I put a new Dayco on my blazer when I did my water pump...about a month later I replaced my A/C compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube, after doing this my belt started to squeal whenever the A/C was on. I went back and traded it for a new belt and it did the same thing. I put my old Gates back on and no more squeal. I'm still using the old belt. Appearently Dayco has changed their belts and they aren't as good as they used to be.

Add your comment to this topic!