leaking transmission

p8ntman
07-27-2005, 12:18 AM
I have a 97 Blazer with intermitant transmission leak. It will only leak some times. the fluid is coming from the upper right side of the transmission, not sure exactly ware its coming from. dosn't look like its from the lines.
it happens on the freeway usualy when the ac is on. has never leaked when pulling 19ft boat. I have a large trans cooler with fan. the fluid looks clear and red, not burnt at all. thanks for any help.

BlazerLT
07-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Sounds like your tranny fluid may be overheating and blowing out the vent.

That, or your servo is leaking.

Have a shop check it out. Also, have you ever serviced your transmission?

p8ntman
07-27-2005, 07:41 AM
It was serviced 20K ago. I droped the pan yesterday to service again, because of pulling the boat. the fluid looks like it just came from the bottle. whare is the servo located? is this somthing I could change?
also, 3 months ago went on 1200 mile trip from MI to SD with lots of hills and didnt use one drop. on the way home used about 1 qt.

BlazerLT
07-27-2005, 12:15 PM
You sure the tranny wasn't overfilled?

p8ntman
07-27-2005, 10:56 PM
I found whare the leak is coming from. There is a rubber hose zip tied to the transmission filler tube and it goes down to the top of the transfer case. it looks like a vent. the fluid is running down the hose and firewall to the top of the trans.

BlazerLT
07-28-2005, 01:59 AM
Your transfer case is probably overfilled.

Often happens when the transfer case/tranny seal is leaking.

Take the top fill plug out of the transfer case on level ground and see if any fluid comes out.

awc109
09-07-2005, 07:52 AM
I have an issue when mine only leaks when I use 4wd, and unfortunatly it poors onto the exhaust pipe. I haven't been able to pin point where it is coming from though.

BlazerLT
09-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Probably from an overfilled transfer case.

On level ground open the top fill hole on the transfer case and see if any fluid comes out.

drdd
09-07-2005, 05:10 PM
serious question - not to sound sarcastic but, how is it possible to overfill a transfer case? doesn't it just come out the fill hole when it is just past its proper level?

Probably from an overfilled transfer case.

On level ground open the top fill hole on the transfer case and see if any fluid comes out.

BlazerLT
09-07-2005, 09:16 PM
serious question - not to sound sarcastic but, how is it possible to overfill a transfer case? doesn't it just come out the fill hole when it is just past its proper level?

There are two plugged holes, one for draining, one for filling.

If it is overfilled, fluid will come out the top fill plug when you remove it.

The fluid level full is supposed to be only to the bottom of the top fill plug.

drdd
09-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Yes I know. I just recently changed my tcase fluid. I can understand how it could be underfilled but is it not physically impossible to fill past the top fill plug (overfill)?

you'd have to try to overfill it without the fluid coming out the hole and then somehow screw in the plug before it came out of the hole. See what I'm saying? ... unless the truck is on a inclined hill or something strange like that, it would be impossible to overfill ... it would just come out top hole ...

again, not trying to be sarcastic. Is there any other way that a tcase might get overfilled ?

There are two plugged holes, one for draining, one for filling.

If it is overfilled, fluid will come out the top fill plug when you remove it.

The fluid level full is supposed to be only to the bottom of the top fill plug.

BlazerLT
09-07-2005, 10:04 PM
Yes I know. I just recently changed my tcase fluid. I can understand how it could be underfilled but is it not physically impossible to fill past the top fill plug (overfill)?

you'd have to try to overfill it without the fluid coming out the hole and then somehow screw in the plug before it came out of the hole. See what I'm saying? ... unless the truck is on a inclined hill or something strange like that, it would be impossible to overfill ... it would just come out top hole ...

again, not trying to be sarcastic. Is there any other way that a tcase might get overfilled ?

Yes, the cause of the overfilling is from tranny fluid leaking from the transmission through the tranny/transfer case seal like it is known to do.

drdd
09-07-2005, 10:10 PM
got it! Thanks!

Yes, the cause of the overfilling is from tranny fluid leaking from the transmission through the tranny/transfer case seal like it is known to do.

Add your comment to this topic!