Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil leak - common place?

jarekt
07-25-2005, 10:31 PM
I'm trying to fix all leaking points on 89 model.
So far i have slave cylinder done, pwr str pump rebuild etc.
still after just few minutes of driving i can see oil drops on main engine frame on pasanger site (just below pwr str pump). what can leak there? i have to add 1l oil avery 200 km. Pressure sensor and ignition without any visible leaks. generally speaking i can't see any space with visible amount of oil, just wet all over.
anyone having similar issue?
cheers

flyinMKIV
07-26-2005, 01:17 PM
MKIII's are not my forte. You might want to do a compression test on the motor to see if everything checks out. Try checking the head gasket to make sure it has a good seal around it. If it's a stock head gasket, I'd reccomend replacing it with a aluminum gasket to be safe. Hope this helps. I'll try to look up some other possible places for you today.

projectsupramk3
07-26-2005, 04:36 PM
The only "common" oil leak on the 7m is the valve cover gaskets, everything else is just basic maintanence because the rubber seals are brittle and old. There isn't much in the area to leak down there, could be the oil pan, turbo oil return (if it's a turbo), CPS/distributor O-ring, valve covers, front main or front cover. Also remember the fan blows any leaking fluids around so it's difficult to find sometimes. I suggest you simply clean the oil on the block up as best you can and then take it for a drive, see if you can pinpoint the source.

Add your comment to this topic!