Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A/C Fan/Blower

fudgecar
07-25-2005, 09:55 PM
Say, recently we purchased a '91 PA that runs very well. However, although the airflow (fan speed) is OK, it's not what you'd call great.

The A/C works fine, and it'll cool the car, but I'm use to getting into a car and being able to crank up the fan, and really get the A/C's cold air blasting in.

The fan bars will step up as you push the fan button, but when it's on high, it seems like there should still be one or two more steps you can go.

Does anyone have any thoughts? It’s been 95 in Atlanta and that's hot!

HotZ28
07-26-2005, 08:47 AM
It sounds like the blender door actuator is not functioning properly. I assume you have auto climate control. Check your codes. It could also be the blower control resistor module. I know how it must feel, I live in Hotlanta also! :angryfire

Auto Climate Control Code check:

The diagnostic mode also contains a data list mode and an override mode.

Be careful not to select modes 01 or 02, as these are different modes, and may cause problems.

If you suspect you are in the wrong mode, press OFF repeatedly until you exit to normal mode. If the temperature display flashes for 2 minutes when the ignition is turned to RUN, a trouble code is set.

1. Turn ignition to RUN. Press OFF and WARM (temperature up) buttons simultaneously.

2. Watch the segment test, then the trouble codes will be displayed.

3. Code Key:

00 - No codes

10 or 110 - Ambient Temp Sensor circuit open or shorted.

13 or 113 - In-Vehicle Temp Sensor circuit open or shorted.

15 or 115 - LH Solar Sensor circuit open or shorted.

35 or 135 - Data Line failure - HVAC Control Assembly

38 or 138 - Data Line failure - PCM

40 or 140 - Driver Air Mix Motor circuit open or shorted, or not calibrated

48 or 148 - Long Term Freon Loss

52 or 152 - Keep Alive Memory lost; sets with battery disconnected

66 or 166 - Low Freon

A number 1 prefix indicates a history trouble code

4. Press OFF twice once codes are displayed to end diagnostic mode, OR to clear trouble codes, press FAN DOWN three times (make sure 03 is displayed).

Once 03 is displayed, press FAN UP to clear trouble codes. Then repeatedly press OFF to end diagnostic mode.
:cheers:

fudgecar
07-26-2005, 09:05 PM
I dropped by the Buick dealer this afternoon and asked one of the mechanics him if he would check to see if I was getting good airflow volume.

He made a very interesting comment as to what he thought the problem could be. Although he felt the fan was functioning properly, he said over years of use, debris such as small pieces of leaves, and other outdoor material gets sucked in through the car’s air duct under the wipers, and gets logged in the A/C’s cooling elemiment, or coil.

As this material builds up, the airflow into the cabin area drops. I thought this was an excellent possibility. The only problem is he told me it’s a big job getting to the A/C coil in order to clean out the debris. I wish there was some other way, but that doesn’t seem to be possible.

pwasf1
08-12-2005, 07:58 AM
My PA A/C is, as my mechanic calls, it "Jeckal & Hyde". And the imfamous line "I aint' never seen one do this before".

I took it to have the just over 1 year old bad compressor replaced. When he got out the cold air was blowing great on the drivers side, and heat out the passengers. He was stumped.

I contacted my brother who is a mechanic and he told be to look at the blender door acutator listed below. He wasn't sure exactly where to look on this specific model, and can't look since he is 2500 miles away.

Is there an easy way to get this? And if so, can you point me in the right direction? Even if it is not so easy.

Thanks.

HotZ28
08-15-2005, 10:03 AM
It is located behind the glove box.

Add your comment to this topic!