Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

general questions

mike123
07-25-2005, 08:13 PM
yea so this is more general questions then about camaros , for one what types of modifications would help gas besides like gears , headers exhaust wouldnt help would they just help flow which would prolly allow me to burn more gas ;x
and what kinda restrictions(like for one tbi over tpi) are there on a lets say a 93 350 sbc tbi ? bad way to explain it hope someone will understand lol'

ohh i guess i should mention i have a set of vortec 062 castings in teh garage just collecting dust , this is an everyday driver not sure if i should put em on they've been modifed and not sure if it will effect the reliablity

Xenostalgia
07-25-2005, 08:30 PM
93's have lt1's not tbi's i believe. could be wrong.

Nate355RS
07-25-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm kinda thinking that headers might help out with the gas milage because they flow better. Seems like it would take less power to send the same amount of exaust gases throgh the headers than the restrictive stock manifold. Might be off on this but it seems to make sense

blindeyed
07-25-2005, 09:24 PM
93's have lt1's not tbi's i believe. could be wrong.

Yeah, Xeno's right. 93-97 came with the LT1's. You might be thinking of 92. And even still, 88-92, the only TBI that was offered was on the 305's. And yes, headers would help improve gas mileage.

mike123
07-25-2005, 09:39 PM
yea my mistake there wasnt supose to be a question mark , it is tbi , i didnt really specify but its a 1993 GMC 1500 pickup
wouldhave posted in the correct forum but lets face it camaro forums are much better plus it is general stuff

blindeyed
07-25-2005, 09:46 PM
Well uh. You would probably get better answers to your questions if you posted in the right forum. I personally know nothing about GMC pickups.. Oh wait, actually, I know they look identical to Chevy's pickups.. but, that's about it.

Savage Messiah
07-26-2005, 12:03 AM
Same shit. Intake, exaust help with gas milage. Tuning can help. Depending on some things gears could or couldnt help you.

89IROC&RS
07-26-2005, 10:24 AM
ok im confused, are you looking for better gas mileage, or getting more gas into the chamber?

philly rs
07-26-2005, 06:54 PM
i know my car gets better gas miles with all the new crap i did. made it to atlanta from tampa on a tamk and a half of gas...now thats hot as hell in a camaro

mike123
07-26-2005, 09:13 PM
well i want better milage cause i drive it everyday and do a good amount of driving , and with gas being an average like 2.60 out here it hurts

Well uh. You would probably get better answers to your questions if you posted in the right forum. I personally know nothing about GMC pickups.. Oh wait, actually, I know they look identical to Chevy's pickups.. but, that's about it.
and i gave the answer to that the previous post , and just because you may not know anything about chevy or gmc SBC 350's doesnt mean anyone else cant give some advice

89IROC&RS
07-26-2005, 10:51 PM
anything you do to make more power without adding fuel to the mix will give you better gas mileage. a high power capasitive discharge ignition system, thermal coatings to keep the energy of combustion from seeping away as heat into the cooling system. doing everything you can to reduce friction, and all that will add power and give better gas mileage.

Earlsfat
07-27-2005, 01:01 PM
..doing everything you can to reduce friction...

A little vasiline goes a long way.. wait a minute, sorry. I was thinking of something else.:evillol:

Viper_Storm
07-27-2005, 02:20 PM
A little vasiline goes a long way.. wait a minute, sorry. I was thinking of something else.:evillol:

lol, him and earl prefer peanut butter. :rofl:

jesus058
07-28-2005, 02:27 PM
anything you do to make more power without adding fuel to the mix will give you better gas mileage. a high power capasitive discharge ignition system, thermal coatings to keep the energy of combustion from seeping away as heat into the cooling system. doing everything you can to reduce friction, and all that will add power and give better gas mileage.

The thermal coating; How does it works?

jesus058
07-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Some ideas:

MSD, K&S air filter (Cool air), headders, big size exhaust pipe & if you have the money change the valve's rockers arms by ones with rollers.

89IROC&RS
07-28-2005, 03:36 PM
it basiclly acts as an insulation, in a normal engine the coolant gets hot because the combustion energy turns to heat, and radiates into the metal of the engine and into the coolant, all that heat that is being lost is also lost energy, by putting these insulator coatings on the heat is reflected back into the chamber where that energy is used to push on the piston rather than being waisted. its worth a good 10-15hp at the flywheel i believe, but i am just guessing because i dont think ive seen back to back testing.

Earlsfat
07-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Now wait a minute... Thermal coating on what.. Headers??? That's the only thing I've ever seen with thermal coatings. How would that reflect the energy back to a piston??? I thought they helped to reduce engine compartment temps and thereby reduce operating temps????

Am I missing something???

89IROC&RS
07-28-2005, 03:57 PM
thermal coatings are also used on piston crowns, combustion chambers, valve faces, and exhaust ports, all the main areas that conduct heat away from combustion and into the engine. by coating all of these surfaces heat is kept in the combustion chamber where it exerts force on the piston, making more power, and keeping the intake charge, oil, and overall engine cooler.

Earlsfat
07-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Is this like an aftermarket thing, or is it done to stock engines??? What's it run to have done???

I'm guessing a '74 454 wouldn't have had that done to it it, huh?

You smart guys... always making us dumb guys look dumb.

Viper_Storm
07-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Is this like an aftermarket thing, or is it done to stock engines??? What's it run to have done???

I'm guessing a '74 454 wouldn't have had that done to it it, huh?

You smart guys... always making us dumb guys look dumb.

lol... you could always look at it my way... dumber ppl make dump ppl look smart...

Earlsfat
07-28-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm feeling smart already!!! (jkg)

89IROC&RS
07-28-2005, 07:09 PM
lol no, to my knowledge thermal coatings are stricktly aftermarket, however anti friction coatings are being used in some production vehicles. i think nissan put anti friction coatings on its altima and it was worth something like 20hp.

and no, the 454 most likely does not have the coatings.

MPe488
07-30-2005, 10:36 AM
how expensive would all of these mods be, and do you guys think they would affect engine life (on the 3.8 I hope to get soon if you need to know)

I happen to be looking at the same thing Mike is, I want my maro to have the best gas mileage possible, cause right now I get about 27 to a gallon so buying a maro is gonna kill me in the insurance and gas department

92zcamaroperson
07-30-2005, 11:18 AM
93 should have roller rockers and thats a bit far to go to not get much out of it. Unless you went ahead and put in new springs and seals. If its got a lot of miles that would help.

Add your comment to this topic!