Page updated on 11-22-2017

Turbo tears up engine?

Mr.350Z
07-25-2005, 04:36 PM
heard from a friend that a turbo tears up your engine over time and wasnt sure fif that was true or not. not the best at cars as you can see.
i own a 350z and was thinking about adding some mods. anyone know if TT tears engine up?

westpak
07-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Well yeah. It will shorten the life of the engine on a good day and destroy it on a bad day.

<SSR>David
07-25-2005, 09:54 PM
A a turbo is a risk. But if you tune it right and have a professional install it for you, if your not one yourself, then it should be fine for some time. There is more things to manage and more parts to keep an eye on, but I feel its worth it. Just make sure its tuned and installed by a professional that you can trust and it should be fine for some time. Make sure you get gauges to keep an eye out for things, it helps a bunch. and make sure to get a turbo timer so that your turbo wont blow up when you shut down your car ^^ Hope it helped in some way.

MPe488
08-20-2005, 10:50 PM
I always thought having a performance camshaft installed was a good alternative for a turbo. I'm not exactly sure about the cost, but theorectically you can get a hell of a let more power out of your engine, and it doesn't seem all too expensive, I'm sure the gas mileage would drop considerably but is there any other reason this route isn't taken very often? Is it rough on your engine or something?

alphalanos
08-20-2005, 10:54 PM
A camshaft as a turbo alternative? No. While it may give some power increase, a camshaft is just one part. having a "turbo" is the turbo itself, intercooler, bov, piping, boost controller, fuel system, blah blah that each give you an amount of power. While having FI will put more stress on the engine, it is still a pretty reliable way to make power, given that it is tuned properly, and the engine is strengthened and taken care of.

1viadrft
08-21-2005, 02:03 AM
Any modification to any car will shorten it's life-span.

apostrophe28
08-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Any modification to any car will shorten it's life-span.

thats all thats to it, if its not equiped on the car when it rolled out of the factory its prolly going to put some kind of wear on the engine, but thats a risk that we all kno is worth it :iceslolan

<SSR>David
08-21-2005, 09:04 PM
A body modification won't. ^^

Add your comment to this topic!