Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Well it finally arrived

rallying83
07-25-2005, 02:40 PM
My 1:24 WRC Subaru Impreza Safari has arrived. I plan to start on it today so I will put up some updates in a few weeks.

I am still very green at this so I will be asking some questions every so often so please bear with me :)

I guess the first and most important question is what is the best technique to simulate dirt on a car. I only get one shot at it or the car is buggered. This is the first model I have done in which I am trying to simulate something(in this case the dusty roads of Kenya)

Thanks in advance

gren

SteveK2003
07-25-2005, 03:29 PM
There are a number of dirt-colored paints on the market, they are best applied with an airbrush to let you build up a fine enough coat.

You can also use special chalks and even real dirt.

Amazon
07-25-2005, 03:57 PM
..There is a company that those armour-building dudes seem to like; itīs called MIG production and they make dirt powder in various`themes`, like Čuropean dirt`or `Wet mud` e.t.c.
And then you have colors from Andrea Miniatures, but this is airbrush ready acrylics,also used by armourdudes. Have a few bottles in various "dirt" hues but have yet to use them!

PRIVATEER
07-26-2005, 01:00 AM
dry pastels are the key. Its actually very simple. All you do is grind the chalk pastels into a dust then using a dry paint brush apply the powder. You can add dust streaks, dried mud, just about any weather effect on the body of the car you want. If you make a mistake plain old water washes the pastel off. When you have the look you want, seal the pastels with a very light coat of Testors dull coat.

Whumbachumba
07-26-2005, 01:06 AM
Hmm, would dry pastels work for say, a rally race diorama from britian, or would I need something wetter looking?

Sticky Fingers
07-26-2005, 07:38 AM
I've always fancied trying the 'toothbrush' method but I'm a big scaredy-pants :eek: To me the risk of ruining a model right-at-the-very-end is one I personally don't think is worth it (for me, anyway!)

Add your comment to this topic!