fuel pump or fuel injector problem

princess887
07-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Having a problem with my 2002 Ford Focus...can't seem to diagnosis the exact problem. Past 2 days as I was returning from work, I stopped at my apt gate and it started to quivering like it was going to completely conk out. As soon as i pump the gas it returns to normal. It only happens as I come to a stop light and runs fine afterwards. Within the past 2 days the check engine light also came on. Usually this light will turn off after I get my oil change done. I am trying to keep my budget down so I am trying to diagnose once and pay for parts and labor. I've asked many repair shops and willing to diagnose it but have too many possibilities from fuel injector, sensors, or pump. I had my fuel filter replaced a month ago. What is the problem with my car? I heard too many recall and other problems with Ford Focus. Please help!

Mustangman25
07-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Your car is exhibiting symptoms of a bad fuel pump which isn't uncommon in the Focus. Go to your dealer, and have them replace it for free under the recall.

princess887
07-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Your car is exhibiting symptoms of a bad fuel pump which isn't uncommon in the Focus. Go to your dealer, and have them replace it for free under the recall.
Are u certain it is my fuel pump? What are the signs for fuel injector problems? Will a fuel injection cleaning sytem work? I want to try this first and it'll cost me around $99 but if that fails then i need a tech to diagnosis the problem..another $89 plus parts and labor. Why do repair shops or places like Midas, Firestone, Pep Boys recommend their own diagnostic testing and to replace the parts from their own place and not one that u purchase from another place?
Ford dealer can't replace fuel pump for free since their is no recall for it only rear door latch.

Mustangman25
07-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Tell your dealer that that is BS. I don't know the symptoms of bad injectors on the Focus, but this problem has occured and reoccured on the Focus; that's why Ford issued a recall on it.

flykreation
11-11-2005, 07:38 PM
My focus will rev up and back down and up and down making it feel kind of like the tranny is slipping. I have also noticed that it will bog and hesitate sometimes when I press the gas but will resume driving normal. Tranny fluid is fine and I had the fuel delivery system module thing that was on recall replaced. Any ideas, or probably the fuel pump? Thanks

bunyz06rabbitt
11-13-2005, 01:42 AM
Top candidates by the numbers.
1. Low fuel pump pressure or volume.
2.Clogged fuel filter.
3.Obstructed air filter.
4.Vaccum leak(s).
5.Faulty PCV or EGR valve(s).

If it's under warranty do as mustangman says and take it in. If you're gonna go with an indepedent garage try to find an operation in your area that is Triple AAA approved.

RKFade
08-05-2007, 07:52 PM
My focus will rev up and back down and up and down making it feel kind of like the tranny is slipping. I have also noticed that it will bog and hesitate sometimes when I press the gas but will resume driving normal. Tranny fluid is fine and I had the fuel delivery system module thing that was on recall replaced. Any ideas, or probably the fuel pump? Thanks

My wife's 2001 Focus is having this same problem. The problem only occurs after a very long ride (4+ hours), however. If we let the car sit for 20 - 30 minutes, we can take off again and get some more mileage out of it before the problem comes back.

Slopes and high speed and sudden changes in vehicle speed tend to aggrevate the problem. At first I thought it was tranny slipping but now I'm not sure if it's that or fuel-pump related.

The only sure thing is . . . vehicle has to ride for a while first. Apparently something is getting hot (though the temp gauge on the dash is fine). Any ideas?

bellevue
08-25-2007, 04:51 AM
My wife's 02 focus wagon just had this same problem after an 8 hour road trip, and it started going slower (around 30 mph) on the slopes at the OR/CA border on I5. The Ford dealership in Yreka, CA charged $75 to tell her they couldn't find anything wrong. She is going to try returning home to Seattle on Sunday. Any suggestions would be helpful. Perhaps a different dealership might have better luck. Anyone have this problem solved?

rivguy
08-25-2007, 08:42 AM
please send your vin # to dane_49004@yahoo.com with a message to check for fuel pump recall and I'll double check the recall status.

azharj
08-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Dear RKFade,
I have ford windstar and have exactly the same prblem as you have. I hope u have solved the problem and I will b thankfull to you if you guide me how u solved it. I have changed the fuel pump just about 2000 KM back without any improvement. Now again some mechanic say me to cahange feul pump and other say change fuel injector and still other say to remove the catalyst converter.
Thanks azharJ

azharj
08-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks for all I have solved my problem, read these two posts/ threads. You may find some solution.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1067905 (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1067905)
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1074785 (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1074785)
AzharJ

Add your comment to this topic!