Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel pump problem or wiring?

wasmussen
07-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Chevy express van 1997 1500series 1/2 ton 350 engine fuel injected

Long story short....
Fuel problems- Would not start at the beach sounding like it needed fuel with full gas tank... got a ride home and went back to it with a friend who was mechanic... he heard it trying to kick over and said Fuel pump problem. Sprayed some carb cleaner in larger hose after taking off the air filter housing from the hose and tried starting it. It started using up the spray and then stopped. Checked relay switch under hood on right side next to the brake fluid housing. It seemed to be ok with testing light. Decided to tap the fuel filter and the van started. Drove home and changed the fuel filter. The fuel in it didn't look dirty at all. The next day at a Sonic Drive-In the Van wouldn't start. Bought starter spray and used it and the van started using the spray up and then it stopped. Tapped the fuel filter out of desperation and didn't start. Being more desperate banged on the gas tank from underneath where I thought to fuel pump might be (knowing it's in the gas tank). The van started once again and we went home quickly. Once in the driveway turned the van off. It started back up twice before the non starting happened once more.

Could it be an electrical problem instead of a fuel pump problem? If so where is the wires that go to the fuel pump? Under the carriage or through the inside of the van. I know the fuel pump is in the top of the gas tank but since the tank is full makes it hard to work on. They need to put a trap door over the gas tank inside the van where the fuel pump is located to make easier access in my opinion. We did replace the pump and paid $400 bucks a few years back before which includes lowering the gas tank.

HELP someone!!!!!

RNRea
07-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Most likely the fuel pump is going out again. I got two years out of the first one I replaced. It sounds like you paid too much on that first one though, as it isn't too difficult to drop the tank. One piece of advice that I heard was to not let the fuel level get below 1/4 tank, as the possibility of the fuel pump running dry (e.g. when going around a corner) will seriously shorten the life of the pump. The gas passes through the pump motor to cool it, so you want to keep it from running dry, even for a short time. Also be careful with fuel additives that may shorten the life of the pump.
While it is possible to have an intermittant electrical connection, it is less likely than a pump problem.

keasley
08-01-2007, 07:01 AM
I am experiencing the same problem. Have you found the root of the problem. I have replaced the fuel pump four times this year. There is a electircal problem. Sometimes the van will crank siome times it won't. I replaced the last fue pump test drove for about 1 hour but never cut the engine off. Parked the vehicle in the drive way and tried to restart with no success. The van has been parked for over a few months with the same issue it will not crank at all. Thanks

Fecklar
08-01-2007, 07:55 AM
There is an electrical issue relating to the fuel pump on these vans. I have a fleet of these trucks and learned that there is a wiring harness that is located above the transmission. These harnesses do have a problem. We had the same problem as described only to find that this harness was faulty. There is a TSB of these as well. I hope this helps.
Steve

MT-2500
08-01-2007, 09:01 AM
There is an electrical issue relating to the fuel pump on these vans. I have a fleet of these trucks and learned that there is a wiring harness that is located above the transmission. These harnesses do have a problem. We had the same problem as described only to find that this harness was faulty. There is a TSB of these as well. I hope this helps.
Steve

Right on on the wiring at crossmember.

If fuel pump is not running check for 12 volts power to fuel pump in front of wiring plug in and after wiring plug in.

I have had several I have had to wire around the fuel pump wiring plug in there.
MT

gquinn
08-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Dont forget the purge valve is a problem on some of these vans it will run and start just fine until it sits for a while and then it must have the ignition cycled several times befroe cranking to build up pressure before turning the key to crank. Try using "search" to get more answers on this topic.

indyrt
11-26-2007, 06:12 AM
My 1999 express will only fire for 2 seconds and quit. no fuel from there. It did this in summer when cold. At one point it stayed around when warm and was running lean. I am notorious for runnin on NO gas....

RT

Add your comment to this topic!