Bonneville and LSR

DCarr511
07-24-2005, 10:21 PM
I'm curious as to how many people if any here are interested in LSR ... Bonneville Salt Flats in paticular ? I grew up around a few that were involved both at the Salt and at El Mirage and just never got into it in all those years myself. That is until last year. I made it out to the Salt Flats for Speed Week as a spectator and fell in love with the sport !

I went out to the Salt twice last year and will be back for Speed Week in a few weeks. Will there be anyone from here out out there ?

Duane

-The Stig-
07-27-2005, 10:22 PM
My Stepdad went out to El Mirage a few months back. He was looking into it. Mainly with motorcycles. I think he might be planning a trip to Bonneville this year.

Not quite sure.

JekylandHyde
07-28-2005, 09:52 AM
I manage the official MR2 Records site here:
http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/mr2records/mr2records.htm

Just in the last few weeks I have added information onteh MR2s that have gone for LSRs. I was shocked to have found 4 of them! :)

07-28-2005, 02:44 PM
On the east coast they run at an old airfield named Maxton. Do a www search on ECTA.

DCarr511
07-29-2005, 12:19 PM
Redneck383 .. If your Step Dad does go to Bonneville will be be racing or spectating ? If he will be racing do you know what his vehicle # is ? I'd look for him and say Hi.

JekylandHyde .... Where did these cars set their records at ? If any are at the Bonneville Salt Flats ... Could you provide their car numbers ?

500 .. Yes I know of Maxton, havent been there yet. But I do plan on traveling out there and checking it out. I would love to set a car up for LSR and Maxton would be where I would be running at since the Salt is quite a drive for me.

Duane

JekylandHyde
07-29-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure where the Jet MR2 did it's runs, but it looks like Bonneville.

If you click on the white MR2, it has a huge 680 on the car and it says it was at Bonneville on Oct 18, but does not say what year.

I think the other 2 MR2s are the same car with different paint jobs. The car is known as the "Millenium Falcom" and there are photos on the LSR or Bonneville site of that car. It ran in the 1999-2001 races.

DCarr511
07-29-2005, 11:23 PM
I'm not sure where the Jet MR2 did it's runs, but it looks like Bonneville.

If you click on the white MR2, it has a huge 680 on the car and it says it was at Bonneville on Oct 18, but does not say what year.

I think the other 2 MR2s are the same car with different paint jobs. The car is known as the "Millenium Falcom" and there are photos on the LSR or Bonneville site of that car. It ran in the 1999-2001 races.

I should've clicked on the pictures before asking .. would've saved you some typing.

I think I seen the Jet MR2 on ebay a few weeks ago.

The other two were definitly on the salt. I just looked at didnt see either one " pre entered ". I'll check out the photo archives and see what other pics if any they show.

Thats one thing I enjoy so much about LSR is the diveristy of the cars and powerplants used. Its not just a BBC in a Camaro or Dragster.

JekylandHyde
07-30-2005, 06:21 AM
On the east coast they run at an old airfield named Maxton. Do a www search on ECTA.

Thank you.

I'm in their yahoo group now and started gathering information.
Hyde might do an LSR run yet this year ;)

JekylandHyde
07-30-2005, 07:03 AM
lol ... apparently I would be in the G/BGSS
G is 1.5 ~ 2.0 liter engines
BG - blown gas
SS - super street

The current record speed for the 1 mile race is 112 mph. :D ... seeing as I do nearly 120 in the 1/4 mile, I suspect I could build a bit more mph in another 3/4 of mile :D

DCarr511
07-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Jekylandhyde... that should be an easy record to set ! I can only assume that it was an " open record " and whoever ran it in .. had the record. The record for the same engine and car except unblown is 112.2xx.

Comparable record on the Salt is upwards of 196 mph

-The Stig-
07-30-2005, 06:39 PM
Probably spectating this year... if he ends up going. Looks doubtful at this time.

JekylandHyde
07-30-2005, 06:58 PM
Dcarr, keep in mind that the ECTA events are only 1 mile. Bonneville is much longer isn't it?

DCarr511
07-31-2005, 08:35 AM
Dcarr, keep in mind that the ECTA events are only 1 mile. Bonneville is much longer isn't it?

yes you are correct. Maxton is also run on pavement, Bonneville is on Salt.

The " Short " course at Bonneville is 3 miles long and is timed for 1 mile between the 1 and 2 mile points I beleive. It is for those that go 175 MPH or slower. The " Long " course is 7 miles long and has timers between the 2 mile and 5 mile mark. You have to be going 175 MPH by the first clock which is at the 2.25 mile point.

On the Salt a friends pinto ( 2 liter ) powered roadster will spin the tires at 150 MPH if he gives it to much throttle. There are at least a few classes at Bonneville where smaller engines have faster records.

Its not uncomman to need to add weight and/or take away power .. to go faster when running at Bonneville or El Mirage.

Look at the class you would run at Maxton and the same class w/o forced induction and theres only .6xx MPH difference. That tells ya something wasnt right with the blown car.

JekylandHyde
07-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Oh, I completely realize that the blown car was not up to what you would expect from a car in that class. I am not saying that I am going to claim some amazing record ... it will be taking it regardless though :)

Maybe I can sent more impressive bench mark?

DCarr511
07-31-2005, 10:18 AM
Oh, I completely realize that the blown car was not up to what you would expect from a car in that class. I am not saying that I am going to claim some amazing record ... it will be taking it regardless though :)

Maybe I can sent more impressive bench mark?

I would be envious to own the 112 MPH Record !! I am certain you can do better than that and own that record. I'm sure you have a good idea on what kinda MPH you can set, given that you already know your 1/4 MPH ( and its already faster ) and you probably know what RPM you were doing and how much more you have left.

I guessing without making any gear or tire you would probably just cruise up to the 3/4 mile mark and then get serious. And it doesnt have to be a " amazing " record. Any record would be good in my book ! The font used to list them on the web is the same size.

I hope you do go for it and good luck when you do !!!!!

07-31-2005, 01:25 PM
Go to www.hotrod.com and check out their LSR adventures for some insights on both Maxton and Bonneville.

My last drag car was a 78 camaro and if I could find it again it would be a great basis for a Maxton car. The 4.88 gear would have to go :). I really don't have the energy anymore and my nomex isn't SFI rated although Hinchman might add the labels if I sent it back.

Even though Maxton is a mile long it is still just a drag race.

08-02-2005, 10:16 AM
I used to have a Dodge 2.2 special magazine put out by Car Craft or Hot Rod and there was an article about a guy who prepped a Shelby Charger for the salt. Since he was limited on internal gearing choices he took a couple of extra sets of wheel-tire combos with different diameters. This allowed him to fine tune the gearing once he had made some runs and got a baseline.

Add your comment to this topic!