Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need a clutch alignment tool...

RatLabGuy
07-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Hey guys, I have a curious problem. While I was replacing the tranny in my '95 tracer, figured I'd do the clutch too. Well, aparently the clutch and pressure plate are in excellent shape, no need for replacement.
However, now I have a problem - I cannot put them back on w/ the use of a special tool, used for aligning the clutch disc w/ the output shaft and pressure plate. This tool comes w/ any new clucth kit... but aparently cannot be purchased ANYWHERE by itself - no local places will sell me just that part...

I was wondering if anybody here had replaced a clucth and still had one of these things. Its about $2 in plastic and not worth me buying a whole $100 kit for just that!!! Will gladly PayPall $$ ASAP for it...

AzTumbleweed
07-24-2005, 12:46 PM
Those used to be easy to find. The damned greedy parts places are stickin' it to ya :banghead:

AzTumbleweed
07-24-2005, 02:02 PM
go look at http://www.clutchalign.com/

RatLabGuy
07-24-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the link.
That may be an overkkill though, since I don't *plan* on installing too many clutches though (esp non-new ones).
Was hoping somebody here just had an old cheapy plastic leftover. However if I have no luck I'll prob just order that tool.

mlw35405
07-25-2005, 05:49 AM
You could ask the people at the parts store to let you borrow one from one of the kits...or, if they want to be a PITA, buy the clutch kit, use the tool, and take it back and say you didn't need it...

AzTumbleweed
07-25-2005, 06:25 AM
The parts places used to have a wooden, universal tool. It was soft enought that you could drive it into the splines with a hammer. After use you throw it away.

RatLabGuy
07-25-2005, 08:36 AM
You could ask the people at the parts store to let you borrow one from one of the kits...or, if they want to be a PITA, buy the clutch kit, use the tool, and take it back and say you didn't need it...

Tried this - sweet-talkin' a bit explaining the situation... unfortunately all I get it, "well, we don't have one to sell by itself - you'll have to buy the whole kit". Then, the kit is not returnable if there's any sign of wear/use... since the tool is just cheap plastic, the chances of me not damaging it are not worth a $100 gamble.

I'm gonna try calling a few tranny shops today, seems to me if the kits always come w/ 'em they should have the leftover tools piling up somewhere.

RatLabGuy
07-25-2005, 11:04 PM
Well, problem solved, clutch installed.
I used this
http://dhairston.echnet.com/Tracer/Alignment_tool.JPG

Turns out that a 10mm Stanley deep socket fits in the pilot bearing hole nicely, just 1 wrap of duct tape and its snug... so I then stuck an extentionon it for grip, and wrapped the upper part of the socket many many times until the diameter snugly fit the inside of the clutch disc.
Instant alignment tool!
Now I just wish I'd had this sudden flash of brilliance like 5 days ago when I needed it!

Add your comment to this topic!