Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Integra starting problem

sfc711
07-23-2005, 11:54 PM
Found a 93 Integra automatic trans in awesome physical condition 7out of 10 for $300, clear title. Guy said car turns over but will not fire. I have 84 RX7 GLS-SE (carb), 1985 RX7 GLS-SE (Camden Roots Supercharger), 1988 Conquest TSI, gave my 17yo a 96 Prelude SOHC. Not too familiar with the Honda/Integra motor. Any suggestions, Thanks,Gary

sfc711
07-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Found a 93 Integra automatic trans in awesome physical condition 7out of 10 for $300, clear title. Guy said car turns over but will not fire. I have 84 RX7 GLS-SE (carb), 1985 RX7 GLS-SE (Camden Roots Supercharger), 1988 Conquest TSI, gave my 17yo a 96 Prelude SOHC. Not too familiar with the Honda/Integra motor. Any suggestions, Thanks,Gary
C'mon nobody has any suggestions

Mykozo
07-29-2005, 02:26 PM
C'mon nobody has any suggestions
Hey dude, I had a 92 also, and I posted this over in the Sentra Spec V section for a guy who had probs, so some doesn't pertain to you, but you'll get the gist. Let me start off by saying that the cap/rotor/coil/igniter are all very common probs in these cars, and replacing all of them might not be a bad idea. Fuel pump too. But, I digress...

To start a motor you need;

1. Fuel
2. Spark
3. Compression

1. I know of no easy way to check fuel, as I just got my Sentra Spec V 2 days ago, and can't tell you how, hopefully someone here can. Coming from Honda's, that have in tank fuel pumps, the easiest way to find out is to put the car in Accessory, and have a friend put his ear up against the fuel door or tank. If you hear the pump whirring, it's prob not a fuel problem, unless you smell it, then you have a leak.
2. Easiest way to check is turn it over with the end of your wires laid on the head, provided everything is grounded correctly. You are gonna want to do this at night, or in a dark garage, cause your looking for spark coming from the wire and arcing with the head. Spray a mist of water on the head to help this process out. Or, just get a volt meter and ground from the chassis to the wire, and check for voltage while turning it over. No voltage at the wire = electrical of course.
3. Pray your ass off that this isn't the problem, but if all electrical and fuel are OK, then compression is next. Blown head gasket is the most likely cause, and a huge pain in the ass unless you are handy with a wrench or a wallet. Even if you are handy, your probably going to want to get the surface of your head decked to make sure no warping has occured (perfect time for a rebuild, hooray!) If you haven't had overheating problems until now though, head gasket is prob not the issue, but considering you just got the car two days ago, you never know what the previous owner did to it, and how close to death it may have been.

Add your comment to this topic!