Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alclad Help

LS1Aaron
07-22-2005, 07:11 PM
I have been using alclad for years with no problems. Lately however when I apply chrome or any polished finish it will rub off with any amount of handling.I never had this happen before,and this is over a black enamel base.I am probably not letting the enamel cure completely as Im waiting about a day,could that be it?Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

MidMazar
07-22-2005, 10:44 PM
i would wait a little bit longer for the paint to dry and fully cure, enamel takes very long to cure.

Scale-Master
07-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Yes, let the enamel dry longer. I have been able to shoot Alclad right over Testors enamel gloss black within 15 minuts, but the enamel still takes a week or so to fully cure under the chrome.
It just makes for one shot painting so to speak, I don't think there is any benefit other than that.
Also, build up the Alclad in very thin coats, between 3 and 6 very light coats. It seems to dry harder for me that way.
No matter what, it still must be treated with extra care compared to other paints... - Mark

mickbench
07-23-2005, 11:46 AM
I've had metal type paints rub off before.. It was due to not waiting long enough for it to dry.. As mentioned, enamals take a long long time to cure.. I was using humbrol enamel metal cote, so I think it might be your base coat of enamal..

Enamels are good, well for brush painting, it's just the length of time they take to dry..

LS1Aaron
07-23-2005, 02:27 PM
I do apply the alclad in thin coats,and it looks chrome as it should.Its just that I have old parts that I painted, lets say a year ago and I handled them a lot with no rubbing off.I guess the only difference could be letting the enamel dry longer,because the alclad obviously dries in minutes.

cinqster
07-23-2005, 08:28 PM
So far I've only used Alclad Chrome on some test pieces (an old kit whose enamel paint was applied over ten years back) and yes I found that although the finish was excellent it did wear off with only light handling.

BTW, I've been told that Humbrol enamel will dry a lot faster if the the enamel thinner is cut 50/50 with cellulose thinner...not tried it myself though.

Add your comment to this topic!