Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Music keeps going out...

chadm_88
07-22-2005, 09:14 AM
So I moved my amp and sub from my truck to my new firebird today, and everything went fine until i attached the ground wire of the amp. Most of the time it would just cut out all the sound, even from other speakers, even though my sub is the only thing hooked up to my amp. Sometimes it works but only when the volume is way down. What could be causing this?

PaulD
07-22-2005, 12:02 PM
the load the speakers is putting on the amp may be too high .... that would it cause to draw a lot of current. You may also have a wek electrical system

tblake
07-22-2005, 04:53 PM
the deck may be shot. Its wierd it cuts all the speakers out. Sounds like a deck problem. Is it stock, or aftermarket? What kind? The best i can say is to check all the wiring and make sure nothing is shroted. Also make sure the ground is solid, and not grounding through paint.

RSLaser
07-22-2005, 10:25 PM
like Paul said, probably drawing too much...you could try using a capacitor or just get a higher amped alternator.

chadm_88
07-26-2005, 12:14 AM
I only have 1 sub hooked up to it, and it's really old and not that great, so I doubt that's the problem, it worked fine when I had it in my truck. It could be where I'm grounding it, even though I have tried like 5 different places, and even drilled a hole in the metal under the carpet and stuck it in there with a screw.

Could it be the signal wire? It's like a $100 JVC head unit and doesn't have RCA outputs for an amp, so it's kind of nig rigged right now. I bought this wire at radio shack where one end has a terminal for wiring to a speaker and the other has an RCA end to go to an amp, so I just cut off the ends and wired them to my head unit, and plugged the RCA ends into my amp. It still gets a good signal...just not when the volume is up.

I was planning on getting a new cd player anyway, so I'll try to get one in about a month (when I save up the money) and see where that gets me. Any other ideas?

Add your comment to this topic!