Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Used Car Ratings

Cmdridq
07-22-2005, 08:15 AM
Hi,
This is my first post here, hope its in the right forum. Anyway, I'm in the market for a used car and I haven't been able to figure out how to find out if a particular model is generally reliable, or if it has had any chronic or serious problems. Is there someplace that tracks this kind of data? Thanks....

Jake

LancerZero
07-22-2005, 10:52 AM
ConsumerReports does, but they want your money. I've found that one way is to browse that model's forum on this site and look for recurring problems. Which models were you interested in, and from what years? I've done a good bit of research on the subject myself, lately, since I'm looking for a reliable car (among other things). I've also got a free Consumer Reports 2005 guide that they sent as "a free gift that you can keep if you don't subscribe" . . . hehe. It's got reliability ratings for most cars between 1996 and 2003, based on the percentage of consumers that reported a problem with a particular area of the vehicle, dividing the ratings by brakes, electrical, A/C, etc.

Cmdridq
07-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Hi Lancer,
Thanks for your reply. I'm driving a Honda Civic 4WD wagon right now. It's running OK, but has over 120K on it, and I'm thinking it's time to look around for something newer.

I want a small hatchback or wagon, either FWD or 4WD. Like Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, PT Cruiser, Civic Si, Mazda Protege wagon, etc. It can be a small SUV also, I don't care. I do want something with a manual transmission though. Other than that, reliability and value are my primary considerations. Thanks for your help.

Jake

LancerZero
07-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Okay . . . I can tell you right now that a Matrix or Vibe is out of the question, unless you want a wrecked one. My budget is just over 9k, and that's all I could find. PT Cruisers are supposed to be pretty reliable, and you could probably find one in your price range - they hold their value pretty well.

Civic Si - I heard the newer ones only came in coupe form?

Mazda Protege5 - a great choice, reliable and fun to drive, but pretty rare and somewhat expensive for an 8k budget. Great pick if you can find one, though.

Focus ZX3 or ZX5 - don't get one built before 2002. Before then they had terrible teething issues, some of them might be great but the newer ones would be a better bet. Supposed to be very good small cars, and reliable, too.

Hyundai Elantra GT 5-door - an underrated compact 5-door. Edmunds.com rates the Elantra quite highly, and they seem to be pretty reliable, too. Search autotrader.com for Elantras, and you'll see that there are quite a few with well over 100k miles. People are always beating on Hyundai, not noticing all the changes the company's been making lately.

Hyundai Accent GT 3-door - Accents seem to last about on par with Elantras - from what I've heard, Hyundai is now where Honda was about ten years ago, making reliable cars for less than the competition. Now, I'm not saying they're more reliable than Hondas - certainly not. But they're every bit as good as the other options. Only thing about the Accent is its handling with those puny 13-inch lawnmower wheels.

Chevy Aveo - New, one of these can be had with the employee discount for just over 8k. But they don't include A/C, that costs extra. Still, with cheaper new-car financing, a five-door Aveo might do you well. The Daewoo engine it uses is from all reports a proven, solid engine, and most of the consumer reviews I've read of it are quite good. Worth considering, at least.

Subaru Impreza wagon, Legacy, or Outback - all would be good picks, the problem will be finding one for under 8k that doesn't have nearly as many miles as your Honda. Also, they're AWD, so transmission repairs could cost you a pretty penny.

Civic CX or DX hatch - always a safe pick for reliability, I'm considering buying one myself. Most of the ones below 8k will be older vehicles (1996-1999, probably), though, so you have to run a title check to make sure they're okay.

RAV4 - a good, reliable little SUV that is about as economical as your typical V6-powered midsize sedan. Thing is, it's only about as fast as your average I4-powered compact. Harder to find for cheap than a Civic, but they're out there. Thing is, I don't think it'd be easy to find one with a 5-spd. Most come with an automatic transmission.

CRV - same as with the RAV4.

G-man422
07-22-2005, 12:52 PM
Epinions.com under autos you can see what people who own the car think of it.

Add your comment to this topic!