Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Inherited 88 Commanche MJ

theFREAKnasty82
07-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Hey guys,

I just inherited my dad's 88 MJ, he upgraded to an '05 Dodge Ram HEMI Quad Cab. Anyway, what sites can I visit to upgrade this truck. Next weekend, I'll be putting in a new clutch and was wondering what sites could I visit to lift the truck. I'm looking for about 6" the most. I'm a Mopar guy, but not too familiar with Jeeps. I love the 4.0 six, it has power when necessary. A friend of mine told me that the model I have was the Commanche Eliminator, the sport truck version and that it's not worth lifting it, especially since it's a 4x2. So I wanted to get feedback from serious oficianados of CJs, XJs, and a few other MJs as to what direction I can go. Thanks again in advance guys!

fredjacksonsan
08-08-2005, 12:37 PM
The Eliminator (I wanted one after college) was set up to be a street truck with wider tires and (I think) a different gear ratio in the rear. Nice truck, no need to lift it unless you're going to frequently go where you'd need some extra clearance.

fredjacksonsan
08-08-2005, 12:38 PM
...and even then, just some taller tires would work.....

MagicRat
08-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Yes, lifting a 4x2 is utterly pointless.

You will reduce the handling, ride and cornering ability that you have already, but the 2 wheel drive guarentees you will not do any kind of off roading where the clearance would be handy.

theFREAKnasty82
08-09-2005, 10:54 PM
ok, sounds good. I'll leave it as it is being just 2 wheel drive. As I get enough money, I will be putting on a new exhaust, the old original one is rusted badly, so I was thinking of putting on something that'll give it some extra power, not too much and won't sound loud. Thanks guys!

Add your comment to this topic!