Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Malibu heater selector switch

rwb22
07-21-2005, 05:15 PM
Son bought a 1997 Malibu and there are problems. The main one is with the heater/AC. The fan switch doesn't work on 1 and 2, which I know is the resistor (thanks for sure to this forum). The main problem is that no matter where you set the selector switch for the air to go to, (floor, vents, defroster) nothing happens. The air seems to be devided equally amoung all the "outlets" and never changes. Also, with AC doesn't work, then compressor does not come on at all even though the AC light comes on as well as the recirculating light. Is the control switch operated by vacuum or electronically now? If it is with vacuum, I don't heard anything indicating that it is even attempting to make a change.
HELP!!

Rod

bearcatdon
07-23-2005, 07:20 PM
The selector switch is activated by vacuum you may want to check the connections behind the control head and your vacuum lines under the hood. Heck while you’re at it, might as well clean the control head contacts.
You may have a leak in your A/C system. Top it off with a few cans of refrigerant ( use the one with dye) and see if it helps. The dye will point out any leaks if that's the case. You may have to start and stop the vehicle frequently to get the gas in and clutch engaging especially if the system is very low. To my knowledge the Malibu doesn't have a shut off override. I'm sure someone will correct me if it does.

rwb22
07-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Thanks. Main thing for now is to get the selector switch to work. I don't think I'll worry too much about the A/C right away, but would like him to be able to "defog" when needed. Also, noticed that the engine "lobes" when it is at and idle (at times). I think it is a vacuum leak, which could explain the selector switch problem also.

rwb22
07-27-2005, 11:12 PM
Checked AC with recharge kit gauge. According to it, there is refrig in unit, well at least the gauge shows just on the line of "full and low". The AC still will not engage, and I have checked every fuse, mini relay, micro relay in the fuse panels, and under the hood! Attempted to disconnect the connector at the compressor and check for power but can't get my hand in there to disconnect it! Any suggestions?

bearcatdon
07-28-2005, 06:01 PM
The gauge may actually be reading air and not refrigerant. Add a can to see if it helps. In order to add refrigerant your compressor must be working. If you start your car with the a/c on and the compressor clutch is not clicking then you may need a compressor. If it starts clicking then later stops, you most likely only need refrigerant

rwb22
07-31-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the help.
I cleaned the controls as suggested but still nothing, (but they were DIRTY).
After cleaning, I connected the electrical connectors and started the car. No vacuum anywhere, not even a "main feed" which I believe is the orange line.
I ran a long line from the intake around to the inside of the car and hook up the line to where the orange vacuum line was. The vent control worked! Now where does the orange vaccum line go? Any ideas?
Also, turned on the AC (which doesn't work) and finally was able to use a test light down at the compressor. Compressor is not getting any power to it. All mini / maxi and micro fuses checked and are good. Could this still be the control head causing the problem. I have checked with Advanced (online) and they have claimed that a bad control can cause the AC compressor NOT to come on at all (which is what is happening to me). However, I do have the AC light working when I select AC. Anyone have any thoughts on this one?
My only thought is "trade in" right now!!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!