Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sweet...

longlivetheZ
07-21-2005, 03:27 PM
http://thumbs.streetfire.net/6828DA48-375E-4A95-AAB3-E8E5161BEEE4.jpg (http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=6828DA48-375E-4A95-AAB3-E8E5161BEEE4)Click here to see Video (http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=6828DA48-375E-4A95-AAB3-E8E5161BEEE4)

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this.

What the hell's the point of 2 turbos, though? Seems pointless. And what's with all the smoke at the end...don't think he blew anything up, but it kinda looks like he did. I dunno.
Anyone able to make out what the result was on the computer screen at the end?

gn1220
08-08-2005, 11:36 PM
One turbo can only push a limited amount of air into the engine. Add a second turbo and you have twice as much air flow. The smoke at the end is actually the tires spinning on the dyno. The car makes over 1,000 hp and the rollers couldn't keep up. This is no longer a Grand National, the v6 was replaced long ago with a small block Chevy. Very wicked though.

longlivetheZ
08-09-2005, 12:47 AM
One turbo can only push a limited amount of air into the engine.

...K...then get a bigger one...

gn1220
08-09-2005, 12:53 AM
...K...then get a bigger one...

Tell that to Toyota. Didn't the Supras come with twin turbos? And the 300Zs?

K....take all those parts in your sig and throw them in the trash. If you want to go fast buy a Top Fuel Dragster............ :rolleyes: Different strokes for different folks.

longlivetheZ
08-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Tell that to Toyota. Didn't the Supras come with twin turbos? And the 300Zs?

Mmmhmmm...and tell THAT to all the dudes with REALLY powerful RX-7s and Supras that DITCHED the twin setup for ONE BIG TURBO cuz it FLOWS MORE... :lol:

This isn't a practical option for the Z32 TT due to the design of the engine.

K....take all those parts in your sig and throw them in the trash. If you want to go fast buy a Top Fuel Dragster............

:screwy: Huh? What are you talkin about, man? Yea...I'm gunna drive my top fuel dragster down the road on the way to work...HA...

-Josh-
08-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Lets not turn this into a pissing contest, we have plenty of these in the Forced Induction section of AF. I have seen that video though, that things pretty tough.

longlivetheZ
08-10-2005, 09:44 PM
No...no pissing contest...I just pissed, thanks. :p

Just talking to the guy. No pissing involved. :biggrin:

gn1220
08-11-2005, 12:44 AM
I'm all out myself. :smile:

Honestly, it might have something to do with the fact it's a V8: one turbo for eack bank? But, then again, the fastest LT1 is running a single turbo. I thought I could help but now it's apparent that I know crap. LOL.

longlivetheZ
08-11-2005, 06:10 PM
lol...it's all good, man. I'm a bit of a (hugely massive...lol) turbo fan. Like reading about them and all. I used to think, "hey...2 has to be better than one" like you did. All the insanely powerful and insanely fast Supras and RX-7s quickly tought me that one big one is all you need if you plan well. This is even more true with modern technology. Check out the new(-ish) variable geometry turbos! Here (http://www.bankspower.com/sidewinder-turbochargers.cfm)is one example of such a turbo. Very cool stuff. The Sequential system on the Supra is QUITE a piece of work, but it's limited. I'm not real familiar with the RX-7's sequential system, but I'm sure it's not exactly simple either. Sequential systems were developed in an effort to minimize/reduce/eliminate turbo lag without having to sacrifice maximum boost. Current ball bearing turbos, variable geometry turbos and other highly efficient turbo systems more or less eliminated turbo lag, anyway. I've actually seen turbos make boost at idle...if I hadn't seen the video, I wouldn't have believed it either. Today's turbo technology has made the belt driven supercharger obsolete...this is why I'd take a well designed single turbo 6 cylinder over anything else...

:)

2.2 Straight six
08-14-2005, 02:49 PM
bigger single turbo's can have more lag than twins, for example:
1 big turbo = 500bhp worth of airflow
2 smaller turbos = 250bhp (each) of air flow

its hard to say which is better, it depends on curcumstances and requirements, race cars like the falker GTR use twin turbos for the tiny amount of lag under acceleration, 9 second supras use huge single turbos for the massive amounts of power under full boost, despite the lag, (which is tiny anyway with modern turbos)

that said the worlds quickest and fastes 4wd (BNR33 GTR) utilises a twin turbo setup.

longlivetheZ
08-15-2005, 03:12 PM
bigger single turbo's can have more lag than twins, for example:
1 big turbo = 500bhp worth of airflow
2 smaller turbos = 250bhp (each) of air flow

its hard to say which is better, it depends on curcumstances and requirements, race cars like the falker GTR use twin turbos for the tiny amount of lag under acceleration, 9 second supras use huge single turbos for the massive amounts of power under full boost, despite the lag, (which is tiny anyway with modern turbos)

lol...you contradicted yourself...

It all depends on what you design for. Today's technology makes damn near anything possible. Single turbo systems have as much potential as twin systems these days because the only major pro of having a twin setup back in the day is to reduce lag...today's technology minimizes lag anyway...so...whatever you wanna do, go for it. Single systems are usually simpler.

-Josh-
08-16-2005, 01:44 PM
I agree with Z, most turbos nowadays have electronically controlled wastegate vanes. The PCM controls boost levels, based on engine load and whatnot. This eliminates the need for a second turbo in eliminating turbo lag.

longlivetheZ
08-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Not only that, but the advancements in ball bearing technology and a greater understanding of what does what in the design of a turbo helps even further.

justav6
08-16-2005, 11:35 PM
the screen reads max power 1076.7 hp. id also like to throw you my input on twin turbos.i dont claim to be an expert, but i have owned my 87 gn for 6 years, and my brother owned his 86 t type for 3. iv been obsessed for much longer, and have read probably almost everything written on them. using bits and pieces from TRUE experts on gns such as ken duttweiller ( 7.43@176) and kenne bell and jim d'alessandro ( 7.61 @179.78)i can maybe clear up a bit and probably confuse a bit. it seems for the quarter strip big single may be better than twin.with high stall and stickys lag doesnt exist, these guys leave the gates making as much boost as they want, limited only by the fact that a full boost launch would nuke the stickiest of stickeys. d'alessandro has a turbonetics big thumper (22psi). duttweiller uses a turbonetics t-70 ( 28-38psi depending on traction). ken however built a twin set up on a 215 ci v6 which is also over 1000 hp. 30psi. this particular buick is the nhra record for quickestsuper stock (8.59 @157.02). All i can say from experience is twin setups are more efficient backpressure wise from the header to turbine, the crossover and 2 headers to 1 pipe is eliminated. also generally speaking, twins produce less heat than single setups (and we all love boosted cold air). the old problem with twins is high end boost except for suplemental turbocharging. but your right modern turbo technolagy eliminated that. i will only say.. there are many gns running in the 9's 8's 7's, and they all have different set ups. to say one is better is tough. it seems these cars are all about combonations, if it works it works.

longlivetheZ
08-17-2005, 05:48 PM
I completely agree with all you said...except that two turbos produce less heat than one...that's kinda odd. Two "heat factories" produce less heat than one? Also, think that the one doesn't have to spin as fast as the two smaller ones. But...<shrug>...I don't KNOW...just doesn't SOUND right.

That's what I was saying the whole time...one isn't necessarily "better" than two...two isn't necessarily "better" than one...it depends on specifics. Either way, there are ways of reaching most goals with either.

All that talk of 7s and 8s makes me want a GN even more...any more info about those cars?

justav6
08-20-2005, 06:00 PM
i have lots of info on those and other FAST gn's. im not sure how copyrights apply, so i cant write up any full info pages. however any specific questions i'd be more than happy to answer. also, for some good reading, the best book iv found anywhere is "The Power Pac Buick grand National Regal T-Type & GnX Performance and Restoration Tips". by Steven L. Dove. it has the story of all the cars iv talked about and many more. it also has tons of other useful info, including how to get a stock engine gn into the 11s. also how kenne bell doubled the power of a stock gn WITHOUT TOUCHING THE MOTOR!! Honestly the best gn book iv read yet.

longlivetheZ
08-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Sweet...I'll try to pick it up. If I had to buy a domestic car, I'd want a GN. I think they're ugly as sin, but it's ok...function over form, right...:p

pheetus agungus
08-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Twin turbos on V engines I find (on something you can drive on the street) are more efficient. You can run true duel exaust cutting done on lag creating backpressure while limiting tickets!

Add your comment to this topic!