Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

64 Falcon Ranchero Diff. ratio

76cobraII
07-21-2005, 02:33 PM
I have a 1964 Ford Falcon Ranchero that I am fixing up.
It has a 170 Straight 6, 3 on the tree, and it's geared for towing.
She's got lot's of torque, but no speed.

With the gear ratio that's in it now, it won't go over 45 without flooring it.
Any suggestion for what ratio I should have in the rear to be able to keep up with traffic? I'm not planning on making it a hot rod (yet) I just want to be able to keep up in traffic without red-lining it.

Let me know what you think.

2slo
12-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Hi Cobra-
Did you ever find an answer for your differential question? I have same problem in my 1961 (144ci) 3 speed manual- havent seen the left lane for as long as I've owned it.

I have a 1964 Ford Falcon Ranchero that I am fixing up.
It has a 170 Straight 6, 3 on the tree, and it's geared for towing.
She's got lot's of torque, but no speed.

With the gear ratio that's in it now, it won't go over 45 without flooring it.
Any suggestion for what ratio I should have in the rear to be able to keep up with traffic? I'm not planning on making it a hot rod (yet) I just want to be able to keep up in traffic without red-lining it.

Let me know what you think.

76cobraII
12-03-2005, 10:15 PM
I ended up putting a 3.11 rear end in it. It came out of a 65.
I can get up to about 60 now. It takes off slower, but I can at least drive with traffic.

2slo
12-04-2005, 10:50 PM
I ended up putting a 3.11 rear end in it. It came out of a 65.
I can get up to about 60 now. It takes off slower, but I can at least drive with traffic.

hey-
Thanks for getting back to me so quick!
well thats good news: From another falcon sounds like a smooth enough swap to (maybe) do myself. (now to find one...)

I'll admit that I'm really not mechanically brilliant, so it might be a job thats over my head..., but searching through various other sites had also gotten me wondering if there are any compatible 4-speed trannys that might make a difference without losing take-off velocity.(...of course its nice to have EVERYTHING) altho it may cost me a hole in the floor and other less predictable nightmares...

Yours is a nice clean solution: I'll take it.
(Nice clean '64 too)-
Mine's still a bit rough to be posting photos of just yet, (but I'm keepin' her anyways).
thanx!

-slo mo

iorn eagle
12-05-2005, 11:10 AM
mine has a 170ci with a c4 auto and my take off is alright my trans and rearend came out of a mavric. should be and easy swap for anyone just with the trans you have to cange the raditor and run the lines. good luck.

2slo
12-07-2005, 12:26 AM
thanks guys,
but im back once again-with new confusion...
Now that I'm looking around for diffs, I thought I'd take a closer look at my own to see what ratio i'm giving up, but now I'm confused- the diff under my 61 doesnt seem to match any ford models that I've been seeing online- (cant find an ID tag either) from the back it looks very much like a post-'67, 9" with the off-center lump- but its surrounded by a symmetrical, hexagon rim with 8 bolts- also has tapered axle tubes. (i'll post a foto if I can figger out how to attach it)-

anyone know what this is?

-2slo

iorn eagle
12-07-2005, 05:21 PM
with that old of a car sounds to me like you might already have a diffrent rearend out of what who only knows. you may have any ford rearend that would fit under there. hell i`m still find out bugs and all kinds of crap the guy i bought mine form did. it`s a nightmire. good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!