Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Scale Motor Sport and the like

deltableh
07-20-2005, 04:41 PM
I saw the SMS kit for the Tamiya Enzo, but I noticed they don't make a kit for the Tamiya Carrera GT or the 360 Spyder. Does anybody know if anybody else makes a kit like the SMS Enzo kit for the Carrera GT or 360 Spyder?

steven_mckenz
07-20-2005, 04:50 PM
I picked up a Revell 360 Spider kit at HL yesterday. Is that the type of thing that you're looking for?

freakmech
07-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Acu Stion and Studio 27 make PE sets for these cars. search www.HLJ.com to see them.

RallyRaider
07-20-2005, 06:01 PM
I recall hearing SMS is going to bring out a Carrera GT set sometime soon. Expect it to be ridiculously overpriced.

racingminiatures
07-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Yes, Scale Motorsport is coming out with a super detail kit and will probably also sell PE, templated CF decals and ther CD ROM as separate items. Why do you say it will be overpriced? Yes, some of the Scale Motorsport sets are expensive but believe me, you get what you pay for. Scale Motorsport PE is the nicest in the business.

Acu Stion and Studio 27 make PE sets for these cars. search www.HLJ.com to see them.

Regards,

Ron
Racing Miniatures
www.racingminiatures.com

deltableh
07-20-2005, 09:08 PM

Hmm, any way to get any of those kits here in the US so I don't have to pay hidious shipping charges?

scaleracecars
07-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Hmm, any way to get any of those kits here in the US so I don't have to pay hidious shipping charges?
For Studio 27 you can get them from http://www.hobbyexport.com

RallyRaider
07-21-2005, 04:35 AM
Compared to the likes of S27, Renaisance and most others SMS are very expensive IMHO. But then Acustein are probably even worse! I'm in particular talking about their superdetail sets, that while very nice don't really live up to the incredible price. I know a lot of people were upset with pre-paying the 525 dollars for the 935 set only to see it rapidy discounted by $100 shortly after release. There were also a lot of fitting issues and questionable value of some of the pieces being invisible or simply replacements for already finely detailed Tamiya plastic parts. But in the end it comes down to doing the research and making an informed choice. SMS is very handy to have around but not the be all and end all they charge like they think they are.

RallyRaider
07-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Just remembered the thing that really turned me against SMS - their "Show and Shine Polishing Cloth". :rolleyes: Bought one of these sight unseen purely on SMS's "reputation" and an advertising blurb that proclaimed it "specially designed" and "perfect for contest quality shine". What I recieved was a shoe polishing cloth I could pick up at the corner store for less than a tenth of the price. Nothing special or particularly useful about it. In other words, a con pure and simple. Any company that can pull such a barefaced lie is not to be trusted IMHO.

freakmech
07-21-2005, 06:47 PM
not to mention there "nuts&bolt" are $10 where as MCG is like $4 and you get twice as much. and there Template carbon Fiber set for rally only uses like half the sheets and doesnt even include templates for every thing thats carbon...price $20. the problem is i live in the US and these are the only PE i can get through my LHS besides MCG and i refuse to use my credit card so i dont mail order. :disappoin but i love there CF and Faux Fabrix.

racingminiatures
07-21-2005, 10:09 PM
They are a business after all. is it alright fo Detail master/Model car GArage etc. to sell ignition wire at several dollars per foot when you can buy 25 feet of the same wire at Radio shack for about the same price or a few dollars more?

I think that Scale Motorsport offers good value for the money. Their detail sets are extremely well etched and the super detail kits are piced accordingly when you consider wha is in them. the Enzo kit comes with 5 sheets of templated CF decals. Their plain CF decals are priced at $10 a sheet so that is worth $40 alone in materials plus its already templated for you. Then add the CD ROM whihc retails alone for $10 but is probably worth more than that as a reference source. Next are several PE frest with hundreds of parts, turned metal parts (remember, somebody has to spend time machining all these and get paid for it). Finally you get several cast resin pieces as well. So is all that worth $125 (or $112.50 at the 10% discount we sell it at)? For many people , yes, for some no. I have spent alot of time talking to Mathew and there is a ton of work that goes into making these sets which sell to a relatively small market so i think they are priced accordingly and appropriately. Take a look at AcuStion. Their sets are nowhere near as nice and much more pricey.

Anyhow, just my himble opinion.

Regards,

Ron
Racing Miniatures
www.racingminiatures.com

freakmech
07-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Sorry Ron,
In fact i was just looking through your site and you have a nice stock. Dont get me wrong, SMS makes some incredible detail sets but i just paid $40 for the Focus PE and Template CF plus the $32 for the kit and im not entirely happy with the investment. Though the Opel Astra PE and CF are a very nice set which i also have bought. its inconsistent in areas but you still pay the same price.

RallyRaider
07-22-2005, 01:04 AM
I don't want to get into an argument here because as I said previously SMS have some very useful stuff. But with the way they talk themselves up, I for one have frequently been disappointed. End result - they've lost my good will.

Add your comment to this topic!