Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help with my 1983 Datusn 200sx

xMILOx
07-20-2005, 02:16 AM
I have Just got my first car and it is a 1983 Datsun 200sx I was hoping for suggestions on how to improve the look of my car. Any tips or links would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

TigerFox
04-30-2006, 05:39 AM
Silvia-2000 platform 1982-1983 Datsun S110

Features a 2.2L Z22E engine with dual-spark-plug NAPS-Z emission control,

Rear-Wheel Drive in a Honda-man's world, liquid-smooth clutch and shift lever (have the gearbox rebuilt as soon as you can afford it), a huge engine bay that accommodates most conceivable swaps, that signature 1980's fuck-off-rugged quad-headlamp front end, a to-this-day unique faux-muscle-car hood that wears the silver 'D' badge as proudly as any BMW 3-Series wears its own, what's not to love?

What's not to love indeed:

1. Terrible aftermarket following - not nearly as popular among the restoration crowd or the aftermarket tuner lot as a Datsun Z or the lionized 510 despite being the grandfather of the Nissan Silvia; you're going to have a tough time finding new OEM-grade replacement interior paneling, body panels, or Datsun enthusiast accessories specific to this model. Google just won't cut the mustard in helping you find replacement upholstery and your local auto supply store will likely have to special order any parts of significance every time, and getting anything through Nissan outside of drivetrain components is a crap-shoot. Owning an S110 can come at significant expense.

2. Real cars mean real metal - oxidation is the word of the day. Mind the rust, Datsun enthusia can quickly become Datsun passion if you find your darling whip rusting out from under you.

I actually own precisely this same car, same year. If you come up with anything, let me know.

Here's a question to add, if I may hijack the thread a bit further:

Is the Datsun S110 in question identical to the BS110 240RS outside the drivetrain? Will a BS110 240RS strutbar suit an S110? Will the front bumper match up? Flared fender wells? Interior, dash and instrument panel components?

Anyone from New Zealand or Australia would be better suited to answer questions relating to this more or less unsung car lost in the pages of automotive history.

Add your comment to this topic!