Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

clear coat

88irocZ
07-19-2005, 03:33 PM
as yall know GM had a big problem in the 80's with the clear coat peeling up. well my iroc has this problem. there is a fairly good spot on the hood and one on the back spoiler. i was wondering if there is a way of fixing this without getting a new paint job. can i just use a rattle can clear coat? what would you guys recomend?

TOMMY81
07-19-2005, 03:37 PM
as yall GM had a big problem in the 80's with the clear coat peeling up. well my iroc has this problem. there is a fairly good spot on the hood and one on the back spoiler. i was wondering if there is a way of fixing this without getting a new paint job. can i just use a rattle can clear coat? what would you guys recomend?

I used a clear coat can and it worked great! I had to use three cans per section

astroracer
07-19-2005, 08:36 PM
You can spray as much clear "over" the bad paint as you want but, that is not going to "fix" the bad paint where it hasn't lifted. The old paint will still have an adhesion problem and it will continue to lift even under the new paint. The only way to fix the problem is to remove the old paint and respray...
Mark

88irocZ
07-19-2005, 10:43 PM
well i would just like a temporary fix. if it keeps peeling up its not a problem i will just shoot more clear. would it be better if i used some of the touch up spray paint stuff. i will probably be getting the car painted in the next year or so...

astroracer
07-20-2005, 04:55 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, leave it alone. All you will be doing is creating more work for the paint shop. Especially if they have to sand off all of your repaired areas. I know I would charge more to do this... It has to come off to prevent paint incompatability problems.
If you really need to do some touchup work I would suggest you take the car to a good paint shop and have them look at it. Ask them what they would use to do it with the thought in mind of a complete repaint in a year or so...
Mark

Add your comment to this topic!