Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cold Start Problems

camero87
07-19-2005, 06:57 AM
Here is my problem. When I first start the car and accelerate, the engine hesitates and surges. It primarily happens under load and primarily when it is cold. I can still feel it when the engine warms up, but not as bad. I have had the car computer analyzed, no problems.
I have changed the MAF, MAT, OXYGEN SENSOR, PLUGS, WIRES, ROTOR, CAP, COIL, AND TEMP SENSOR. The problem persists.

It is a 87 Camero, 2.8Liter, auto trans. 80,000miles on this engine

Anyone have a similar problem or can tell me where to look next.
Thanks

wrightz28
07-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Sounds fuel or ignition related.

camero87
07-21-2005, 06:05 AM
Thanks, I will replace the ECM and the pick up coil this weekend.
I think it has to do with the EST.

wrightz28
07-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Thanks, I will replace the ECM and the pick up coil this weekend.
I think it has to do with the EST.

Why are you replacing the ECM!!!!!!??????!!!!!!!!

you are "shotgunning" parts, expensive ones for a probable non computer problem.

The computer, DOES NOT START THE CAR.

What makes you think it's the est? did you get a code (43) because if you look at the flow chart (a good one) there are many reasons this code can trip and give a false reading.

camero87
07-23-2005, 06:28 AM
I did get a code 42 when this whole thing started. I've checked everything I can think of and these are next in line.

What else should I check? Any idea is welcome.
Thank you for you input.

Why are you replacing the ECM!!!!!!??????!!!!!!!!

you are "shotgunning" parts, expensive ones for a probable non computer problem.

The computer, DOES NOT START THE CAR.

What makes you think it's the est? did you get a code (43) because if you look at the flow chart (a good one) there are many reasons this code can trip and give a false reading.

wrightz28
07-25-2005, 02:13 PM
I would definately say an ignition problem then, have you checked the timing?

Sorry I'm not around on the weekends.

camero87
07-27-2005, 05:19 AM
Do you know how to change the Pickup Coil? My manual doesn't have an example. From visual inspection it looks like I need a wheet puller to get it off.

wrightz28
07-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Should just take the cap off, then the rotor, then I think there's a shield on some of the p/up's out there, couple of screws and out ya go. It' sbeen a whiel but I don't think htere's anything else to it.

Add your comment to this topic!