Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Suggestions for this bumper?

tigeraid
07-19-2005, 12:56 AM
http://www.efnetcars.com/album/temp/akq.jpg

I seem to have misplaced the chrome strip that's supposed to go in that rut across the bumper. I could of course take 5 pieces of strip styrene, in a sort of --- \ ___ / --- kinda shape, but I'm not sure how to make that look seemless. It's supposed to be either chrome or "rubber." :uhoh:

HotRodDreamer
07-19-2005, 02:22 AM
I'm not very good with that kinda stuff, if i lose a piece i just order a replacement from Revell, which is what you could do if they made the kit, what kit is it?

klutz_100
07-19-2005, 02:48 AM
http://www.efnetcars.com/album/temp/akq.jpg

I seem to have misplaced the chrome strip that's supposed to go in that rut across the bumper. I could of course take 5 pieces of strip styrene, in a sort of --- \ ___ / --- kinda shape, but I'm not sure how to make that look seemless. It's supposed to be either chrome or "rubber." :uhoh:

Hey Tigeraid!

God knows, I'm no scratch builder but that looks do-able if you have some styrene strip and the "repalcement part form mfctr" alternative fails.

Take a look at Hiroboy's current 1/12 build or some of MPWRs threads - you can see really well in there how they do it.

My limited experience has shown that after glueing and sanding the connected parts, use of putty, sanding again and primeing (maybe Gunze Mr. Surfacer?) gives very good results and you'll probably be nicely surprised that the joins aren't visible.

Probably your biggest challenge will be to glue it all together so that it is flat and fits! :) If the part needs to be flat, work/test on a piece of glass for an ideally flat surface.

HTH or at least nudges you to try :)

PS for chrome alcad2 or BMF of course and for the rubber, I read an interesting thread couple of days ago about painting resin wheels/tyres - take a look

Honoturtle
07-19-2005, 03:31 AM
Ahh.. for the '73-'74 Nova huh?

I suggest you first create a pattern/template out of card stock (I usually use note cards) of the design, you can either trace it somehow or measure and draw it out. Make sure your template fits, then trace your template onto a plain sheet of stylene of the desired thickness (you could stack two "thin" sheets opposed to one "thick sheet"). Cut it out and dress it up. This way you're mainly dealing with one piece to avoid as much putty work possible.

One thing I didn't take note of is how the bumper trim would curl around the edges of the bumper. It doesn't look like it curls much, you could possible hold your stylene bit under heat and bend to desired shape. But, I've had problems with stylene being to resilient and bending back to it's original form, weeks after bending it. Possibly relief cuts on the back side and glue can solve this?

Well, good luck! :sunglasse

Bob Bauman
07-19-2005, 11:18 AM
maby black wire ?

tigeraid
07-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Whew.... this is gonna be interesting. But I like the template idea, cutting it by the vertical shape rather than the horizontal shape and just stacking some pieces... I'll give it a try.

Add your comment to this topic!