Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How thick is a coat of Future?

Jay!
04-26-2002, 03:21 PM
Say, if you brush it on and let it self-level... Anybody know? I'm thinking of trying some...

Also, what's the longest anyone's had some Future-treated plastic? Are there any signs of wear, discoloration, distortion, clouding, anything?

flyonthewall
04-26-2002, 03:57 PM
Its reall quite thin as it is very thin in viscousity. Ive been told it will yellow after a period of time, how long im not sure?

daggerlee
04-26-2002, 04:39 PM
It's pretty thin, thin enough to be shot through an airbrush at any rate, it's not overtly-thick

From internet modeling groups I've heard mixed stories (as usual per almost any product) about yellowing, some say it will, some say it won't. I'll offer up that Future doesn't come with UV protection in the bottle, so if you leave your model in the sunlight it probably will yellow over time. However, it's not yellow in the bottle, and I go by this adage: "If it's yellow in the bottle it'll yellow on the model" so with proper storage I don't think it will. None of the models I have coated with Future have yellowed (granted they have only been coated for 2-3 months.)

Jay!
04-26-2002, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I figured that Future is new enough to scale modeling that there aren't really any reliable long-term results yet...

Any links to pics of Future finishes that rival the standard polish and wax routine?

daggerlee
04-26-2002, 04:46 PM
People on Rec Models Scale (rec.models.scale) recall using Future as far back as 1984.

Sorry, I don't know any sites with Future pictures, I just offer my own experience in that it delivers a pretty damn good shine (just watch out for dust! :mad: )

Jay!
04-26-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by daggerlee
People on Rec Models Scale (rec.models.scale) recall using Future as far back as 1984.:o Must remember to do my homework! :o

Guiddy
04-27-2002, 01:32 AM
Too much to go wrong IMO!

For a start it delivers nothing more than a good polished coat of laquer will give you.
I have seen some awful results from it's use on this site.
And I have never seen a car manufacturer finish their car with a coat of floor polish!

Sorry, but the thought of it just shocks me!:rolleyes:

daggerlee
04-27-2002, 07:38 AM
Guiddy, Future is nothing more than an acrylic clear coat masquerading as floor polish. I admit that I've had some bad models come out from its use but its still a great product. Car manufacturers clear coat finishes all the time.

Guiddy, could you help me with polishing compoudn? I got some Tamiya compound and tried to polish a body with it using a wet t-shirt (body sprayed with car lacquer cured 2 weeks) and I got no results. How long should I be polishing a spot for? What pressure on the cloth should I use? Thanks for any help

Guiddy
04-27-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by daggerlee

Guiddy, could you help me with polishing compoudn? I got some Tamiya compound and tried to polish a body with it using a wet t-shirt (body sprayed with car lacquer cured 2 weeks) and I got no results. How long should I be polishing a spot for? What pressure on the cloth should I use? Thanks for any help

Tamiya compound isn't harsh enough, so basically you are polishing away without it cutting!
Go for something stronger, like a paint restorer, then go over again with the Tamiya stuff.

daggerlee
04-27-2002, 05:02 PM
Tamiya compound isn't harsh enough, so basically you are polishing away without it cutting!
Go for something stronger, like a paint restorer, then go over again with the Tamiya stuff.

That's what I figured, the article-writer at tamiya.com says he uses it to polish away the scratches left by 12,000 grit sandpaper. Do you have any brand recommendations for paint restorer?

Murco
04-28-2002, 12:02 AM
The ZL1 Corvette I have in the gallery was treated to a coat of Future 4 years ago and has a terrific gloss with no ill effects as yet. Keep them from sunlight, as you should anyway, to avoid "Future" problems. :)

HKSDU Panda
04-28-2002, 05:22 AM
I think future, you're supposed to dip into. Thats the best way to get a good even coverage. of course you can spray it too. But dip is the best way i heard to use it. I dunno how it can be done with the clear window parts that come with 1/24 cars tho :(

Murco
04-30-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by HKSDU Panda
I think future, you're supposed to dip into. Thats the best way to get a good even coverage. of course you can spray it too. But dip is the best way i heard to use it. I dunno how it can be done with the clear window parts that come with 1/24 cars tho :(

For automotive subjects the best way to apply Future is with those big makeup brushes women use to apply blush. Apply it before installing windows and make sure there is absolutely no finger oils or other contaminants on your paint. Dipping is THE way to do your windows, while they are still on the sprues!

Add your comment to this topic!