'97 jetta will not start

Voodoo302
07-18-2005, 05:38 PM
i've got a '97 jetta trek, manual trans., that suddenly won't start. i replaced the ignition coil a few weeks ago to fix some post-rain sputtering problems (which it did, until two days ago), and ever since i replaced it, it's sounded like it's grinding harder when it turns over.

today, when i started it up, it had gotten worse. i took it to get new tires and when i picked it up it turned over twice and from then on, nothing. we push-started it and it ran completely normally all the way home, but once i turned it off it wouldn't restart.

my battery's fine, i have all my accessories working, and when i turn the key i get a high-pitched whine...almost like something's spinning but not catching. i put the old coil back in to see if the new one was the problem but no luck. and yes, i'm making sure the clutch is fully depressed.

any ideas? please help!

98R/TDailyDriver
07-25-2005, 08:10 AM
Try the starter solenoid...

veedubmechanic
07-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Sounds like the starter is shot. I believe new ones come with a new starter solenoid on it.

Voodoo302
07-31-2005, 08:28 AM
thanks for the advice guys...it was the starter.

by the way, be wary of non-OEM parts from NAPA. i got a rebuilt starter from them and the solenoid had totally different connections than my original, i lost probably 3 days in my repair because of this.

Add your comment to this topic!