Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New racing club; Whaddya think?

Driftertank
07-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Me and a few friends are starting a new club here in washington state. See, the basic idea is this; We are all active in various forms of sanctioned racing, be it autocross, hillclimbs, drag, rally, whatever. We've gotten tired of the groups of so-called "racing clubs" rolling around town and street racing. So, we got together and formed Elite Racing. The club has several purposes. We work to discourage street racing, and promote participation in sanctioned racing events. We encourage learning, teaching, and sharing advanced driving techniques. We emphasize the skills involved in the "Truest" racing forms, rather than the time and money spent making the car pretty and fast.
Essentially, we don't care what kind of car you drive, what it looks like, how much money you've spent on it, or how much smacktalk you throw around. We only care if you've got the skills to drive it safe, and drive it fast. Aspiring members have to demonstrate their driving skill before being considered for full membership. We're trying to get recognized as a truly professional group that doesn't need to talk smack, because you've got to have it where it counts just to get in. We don't street race, because it is dangerous and unprofessional. Any member cited for street racing faces six months suspension from club activities for a first offense, and immediate expulsion for a second.

I'd like to know what everyone thinks. Would anyone be interested in starting an Elite Racing chapter where you live? While the club is registered, and therefore technically copyrighted, we encourage anyone to promote legal racing, responsible driving, and mad skillz in driving in your area, and will allow the use of our name, or reputation, as long as you stay true to what we stand for.

Well, what do You all think?

jam4shi
07-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Well if definitley sounds like a good idea but are you suggesting that most of the clubs out there are just joining to race illegally? If the clubs out there were just doing it and promoting illegal racing then they would always be a prime target for the police (as if the police aren't already watching them). If you really want me to be honest all legal ideas are good ideas... I'm not going to criticise anyone that is trying to do something right. Now would I join the club no... Probably not, in my personal opinion around here we will still be harassed no matter what type of club we had. Maybe for you the results may be different but as faras a club riding on the streets that isn't willing to take a few challenges at the lights for a change at least? The thought is definitly positive but you gotta remember that part of the entire import scene is having fun and for some people having fun is doing stupid sh*t like illegal racing. Finnaly, it seems almost revolutionary for someone to form a club like that for the simple reason that imports already have a messed up image. People that don't know anything about them that don't know they have the potential are going to still say that there's nothing under the hood of the car... If your going to start a legal club then your probably going to attract the legal crowd, which is basically the people who have tried or done illegal things without getting caught.

Mind me asking but how are you going to dicourage street racnig and or/clubs? are you going to drive crown victorias around deep with a charger with a man pissin on the words (street racing) on it? I'm mean personally, it seems like a losing fight, but thats just speaking in my area. How will your club be known? Are you going to diss illegal racers altogether? thats sounds a little dangerous actually. A club such as this provoking street racers might be a target of humiliation. Instead of clubs challenging themselves or spraypainting graffiti on the police cars ther'e going to fly past you all going 75 when your club is only going the posted speed limit. I know that it really seems like I'm being harsh but there are things that you must think about in stupid america today.

you said that you didn't care about what kind of car there was right? then your wanting people that are set in their various forms of racing to drive their daily drivers? and not their race cars?

the whole ticket matter is kind of harsh in my opinoin just because of the simple fact that tickets aren't really given to people based on their driving but more on a police quota. Like i mentioned earlier imports have a bad image already (thanks to F&F and nameless others) so drivers of the club would not only have to be careful but understanding of this fact: You have an importcar and your apart of a club full of more that says racing on it. No matter what explaination you give the cops unless theres some time then you'll have problems all around. However, don't take that to heart because anything nowadays that is really worth anything will have problems. Look at nissan do you really think that they were so perfect that they never ran into any problems? No the fact of the matter is that it took a lot of work before the results made it to the streets.

I think that anything could make it if it were thought out flawlessly. Remember we all breath air and noone is better than anyone else so if you think of enough responses to the negative comments toward this great idea in the area know what to say and avoid things that they are expecting you to say...

1viadrft
07-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Sweet! Do it...

Driftertank
07-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Okay, okay. Yeah, I did make it sound a little more revolutionary than I intended. Here's the facts:

As far as the "Illegal race clubs," I'm referring mostly to the groups of mostly teenage people who actively participate in the outlandish street racing that was exemplified in the "Fast & the Furious" movies. Stoplight dragging has been a part of american culture for as long as there have been stoplights. while, as a club, we don't endorse ANY street racing, we do tend to wink at impromptu dragging. It's the high speed, public exhibition type of street racing that we really frown on, an that's what incurs penalties within the club.
As far as the harshness of the rules about street racing, they are that way intentionally. We WANT to polarize opinions about our group. If one is an avid street racer who feels that the rules are too harsh, then we really don't want them. Honestly, our club only appeals to a certain type of person, and we advertise professionalism because we really only want to attract serious racers. Like any club, we're really only a collection of like-minded people, and consequently not for most people.
We don't go around advertising ourselves actively, we don't brag, we don't talk down to other drivers. We are very low-key, as clubs go. We don't actively draw attention to ourselves, because, as you said, the police crack down hard on any group with active street prescence.
Now, as far as the perks of membership, we keep members appraised of sanctioned racing events in the region, and in due time, plan to use member dues to help sponsor local events, and get members discounts on race registrations and so on. We plan to schedule member cruise-ins during car shows and racing events. And of course, we share tips and techniques with other members, and, if club membership increases, may hold seminars on car handling & advanced technique.

For now, though, we are a very small group working to establish a reputation, and maybe increase interest, or at least awareness, of the many kinds of Legal racing taking place in the region. Do we hope to change the face of the local racing scene? Not hardly. Reduce the amount of street racing in the area? Not really. Mostly, we just want to attract the kind of driver that takes racing seriously, and help him or her get more involved in their chosen style. And just maybe, establish a rep as the best DRIVERS in the area, regardless of age, sex, or the kind of car we drive. That's the appeal we're trying to cultivate. And, unlikely as it seems, sometimes it does work. Like the cocky kid who nearly ditched his Z31 turbo trying to keep up with me in my S30 on a windy mountain road, who now makes sure HIS friends know why we don't accept street racer challenges; We don't need to. We know it, and now they know it. It sounds like bullsh*t tough talk, but it's true. I scared the crap out of that cocky little bastard that night, and none of his buddies have tried to race me since. That's the rep I'm talking about.

jam4shi
07-18-2005, 08:11 PM
its good to see that you understand what I was saying. If the planning isn't the most hard part then persuing it is. Anything is possible good luck

ZedEx
07-18-2005, 08:17 PM
Sounds great. Our crew (Carolina Fried Rice) has a similar deal. We go to each Race Event together, and do our best to promote Legal Racing.

Although this has nothing to do with Zed Cars... And I really should close the thread. I would rather let this one stay open. :thumbsup:

Just keep it civil, otherwise I'll have to close it.

-Wes

k3smostwanted
07-18-2005, 09:08 PM
sounds nice...but i must admit. even i do the occasionally stop light to stop light race from 0-40mph or what have you. i dont feel i get crazy with it or take it too far but i do find myself doing this every blue moon.

but i diasgree with "organized" street racing....where everyone gets out on a back road and starts drinking beer and racing. that is totally uncalled for...

ExTrEmEDrIfT
07-19-2005, 12:12 AM
carolina fried rice , does everyone own a civic in this club lol j/k but yah its a good idea to promote legal racing , theres more and more young ass kids that try street racing as soon as they get their license or mommy and daddy buy them a fast ass car.

ZedEx
07-19-2005, 01:00 AM
There are a variety of cars in the CFR...

-1994 H22A Honda Civic (JDM Prelude Motor) one of the fastest Civic's in town.
-1989 LS/VTEC CRX (Very ugly, very fast. 12second runs)
-1997 H22A Accord EX
-1999 B18C1 (GSR) Honda Civic EX (Integra GSR powertrain)
-1994 B20/VTEC Honda Civic EX (My car... Honda CRV Bottom end, JDM Civic upper end)
-1999 Red Eclipse GS-X (350whp)
-1999 Black Eclipse GS-X (220whp)
-1997 Silver Eclipse GS-T (Big 16G Turbo, Sloboy FMIC, Magnus Intake)
-1997 Silver Eclipse GS-T (Stock aside from Hard Intercooler piping and Type-S GReddy BOV)
-1987 RX-7 with Chevy 351 Small Block (11second runs)
-1997 Supra JZA80 Twin Turbo

That's pretty much our tight little group... We have a few others that drift in from time to time. But there are definately some bad Ass little cars. I'll post pictures of a few of our cars.

-Wes

ZedEx
07-19-2005, 01:12 AM
H22A Hatch...
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/9814/brianscivicslicksside9ev.jpg

My Shitvic...
http://img44.echo.cx/img44/3186/civicphotoshootfrontright26pf.jpg

Miles' GSR Powered Civic...
http://img328.imageshack.us/img328/572/milescivicopen5tu.jpg

The 351 FC3S...
http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/8159/romans355fc28di.jpg

The JZA80...
http://img344.imageshack.us/img344/9110/supraexposure29dt.jpg

Ryan's highly tuned GS-X
http://img331.imageshack.us/img331/5706/ryansgsx3yv.jpg

More to come... I'm too tired. :lol:

-Wes

Driftertank
07-19-2005, 09:31 AM
I'm glad to see there are many others out there who endorse leagalized racing, and find the rediculous F&F style stuff distasteful. I, personally, will admit to a raste for touge-style racing, which is technically illegal, but me and the friends who occasionally do that sort of thing always make sure it's done on low traffic roads, at low traffic times of day (usually midnight to 2 AM), and we usually carry 2-way radios to warn each other of hazards such as traffic or poor road conditions. We also don't go around bragging about it, or try to get other groups to race us. It's a quiet, private activity, intended to keep our skills sharp, without endangering anyone not directly associated with us.

And sorry about posting in this particular area. I'm new here, and couldn't figure out a better place to post.

Add your comment to this topic!